how to heat a Champion patio room/enclosure?

Old 11-17-08, 08:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to heat a Champion patio room/enclosure?

Our home we bought here in NC has a glassed-in patio enclosure off the back. Its made by Champion. Previous owner had it put in over the deck to keep out the bugs. Its a decent room, although it does not have the insulated glass as it was never meant to be "all seasons."

I "finished" the room off to make it a playroom for my two little boys. That is, I put down subfloor and an indoor/outdoor carpet. Those guys would stay out there 24/7 if we'd allow. That alone has made it much more enjoyable, and warmer.

As I said, we live in NC. So they get to spend a lot of tim in it April-October. Its a little hot mid-day in summer, but we have multiple fans out there. Now, I am trying to extend its life a bit into shoulder months like November/March. Now I am realistic since the glass is not insulated that it wont hold a ton of heat. But I was thinking about baseboard. Its cheap, relatively easy install (excep for how to wire 3 or 4 to one thermostat...)...and I am really just trying to take the chill off a bit. They are never gonna be out there in January, for instance.

Questions:

1) Does baseboard get so hot I need to worry about it melting the Champion enclosure? They call the "vinyl" enclosure afterall....although it feels like alumnum to me. I have no clue what its composition is since I ddnt have it installed.

2) Are there any other heating options I should consider?

What about Infrared Patio Heater you see mounted on the walls of patios at restaurants? Thats really the only other thing I can think of....and they might look kinda funny out there....And I worry about mounting it on the masonite siding that forms the back wall of the patio room. Is that safe?

I realize I could just put some portable heat out there, but am not too keen on that for a few reasons (kids knocking it over for starters....and just general desire to find a more permanent, integrated solution).

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

THB

Old 11-17-08, 10:39 PM
D
Standard baseboard does get hot. Will it get hot enough to melt the vinyl, I don't know. They do make hydronic baseboard which I believe does not get as hot, however it is more expensive. If it were me I would buy some 3/8 sheet rock, cut a few squares of it and use that to space the baseboard off of the vinyl at the points where you screw the baseboard onto the enclosure. You could even run the sheet rock the full length behind the baseboard. No one will see it anyway.

You can wire multiple baseboards to one tstat. The wattage rating of the baseboards must not exceed that of the tstat. That being said you may still need two circuits of heat and two tstats given the fact that the heat loss will be pretty substantial and you will want to be able to warm up the room quickly when you want to use it. You will need four empty breaker spaces in your electric panel to allow for two 220V heat circuits. An alternative to the two tstats is you could use a contactor and a standard (not electric heat) 24v tstat.

-doug

Also - insulate under the floor.

Old 11-18-08, 06:33 AM
T
thanks, Doug. its a glass patio enclosure built over a deck. 3 walls are the Champion enclsoure, with single pane windows, the back wall of the room is the back of the house (formerly, its exterior wall; the rear of the home).

I put down a vapor barrier and some pretty hefty OSB. then some exterior/interior mold resistant carpet was laid by Lowes (I am not a carpet guy).....I am guessing I would have to tear up the carpet to insulate? or could I crawl under the deck, staple up some insulation and then enclose with something to keep it dry (vapor barier) and cap it with plywood? Does that make sense? again, its on a deck, so its open (<3 feet clearance to he ground) and accessible undeneath.

sorry for so many questions. I am a bit novice.

Old 12-01-08, 03:58 PM
It may cost a little up front but a mini split will give you best of both worlds, heat and cool... Just a thought

Old 12-01-08, 07:32 PM
D
Originally Posted by tarheelblue View Post
I am guessing I would have to tear up the carpet to insulate? or could I crawl under the deck, staple up some insulation and then enclose with something to keep it dry (vapor barier) and cap it with plywood? Does that make sense? again, its on a deck, so its open (<3 feet clearance to he ground) and accessible undeneath.
No tearing up anything. However, you will have to crawl under the deck to insulate and I think thats worth doing. Just add a plastic vapor barrier under the insulation to keep it dry. Anything more probably won't gain you much in heat savings given the single pane glass issue.
-Doug

Old 12-02-08, 11:47 AM
D
Originally Posted by harveje View Post
It may cost a little up front but a mini split will give you best of both worlds, heat and cool... Just a thought
Or maybe a PTAC would work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: