Scary noise from heat pump

Old 11-20-08, 09:06 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Scary noise from heat pump

We have 5 ton Goodman 13 seer, which was installed in July 2008, no warranty,long story. Absolutely no problems until recently when the temp outside has dropped to the twenties at night, high 30's and 40's day, eastern WV. The heat pump is located right outside my bedroom, so I hear it running. Lately, and not consistantly, I'll hear a [U][B]sucking kinda hissing noise which is fairly loud and seems to come from the crawl space, but close to the heat pump, when I heard it outside tomight it was very loud so guess it isn't in crawl space. My husband hasn't heard it, but I think it sounds spooky. We have a 2500 sq ft home, cape cod with open ceiling plan from kitchen up to loft. We know we just made the the amount of registers (16)the house needed and have been told to add more, there are 5 returns. We live in a 10yr old home that the previous owner built. Please help as much as you can, we just started our own company and the funds are real tight and I just don't how I'm going to get someone out here, but the noise is alarming me. Thank you" Oh! first time owning a heat pump and I have a honetwell digital tstat. Should I have it on "heat" or "auto". We have temp set at 71f and the heat has been consistant, meaning it is heating and keeping the house at that temp.

Old 11-20-08, 09:28 PM
The noise you may be hearing is the valve switching into defrost mode. This is normal.

The sound is the hot gas switching around and will make a hissing sound.

Old 11-21-08, 11:54 AM
I have a neighbor that has had a Heat Pump (yes the same unit) since 1989 it is a Rudd. She recently complained that it made a mysterious noise at night. Well there is Nothing wrong with the unit apparently all these years it was actually rarely used as they used other means of heat but her sister and her daughter recently moved in and they apparently like it real warm kinda like Florida in the summer time. Anyway they keep the t-stat on 75 to 80 now versus 60 to 65 before so the poor thing is running almost constantly and it is the defrost cycle that she is hearing. She said it goes whing and hisses at her LOL. Apparently it did not run enough before to even catch a defrost cycle but yes they can sound strange and the steam that rises up off the coil plus the water running off on the ground really can freak out a owner especially someone unfamiliar with a Heat Pump.

Old 11-23-08, 06:10 AM
And, don't confuse that steam rising from the unit at the end of defrost cycle with smoke.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: