air handler blower wont cut off!!!!!!! help!!!!

Old 12-02-08, 08:36 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question air handler blower wont cut off!!!!!!! help!!!!

here we go. i have a air handler in the upstairs of our home. it worked fine after i installed a new digital thermostat. one day we apparantly got hit by lightning. a few ceiling fans and the heat pump air handler stopped working. repaired ( replaced ceiling fan) when i opened the air handler their were some burnt wires on what i assume is the blower relay. repaired the wires and replaced the relay. blower seemed to work fine. all the sudden the blower will ot turn off. switch is off anf fan is on auto. also removed thermostat and left sub base hooked up , still stays on. here is a list of my thermostat and unit model numbers. can anyone help. this is a problem for the bill when it just runs 24 - 7 even if the heat or ac is off the blower runs. maybe i hooke a wire back up wrong?

thermostat: honeywell ct3611r 44503
0339e

sub base honeywell: 32207415-056
has six wires r = red wire
w2= white
e= brown
y= yellow
o= gray
g= green

outside heat pump: gmc model # cple-24-1
serial # 0203469489

inside air handler: gmc model# ar24-1
serial# 0203522278

any help is appreciatted.
thanks.
art divittorio

Old 12-02-08, 08:58 PM
D
Sorry to hear about the lightning strike. You can't trust anything after a lightning strike.

I'd start by disconnecting all the tstat wires from the air handler. Does this stop the blower? If so get a multimeter and see if any of the tstat wires are shorted/melted together somewhere from the lightning strike. If the wires are connected to nothing at the tstat end and nothing at the air handler you should have infinite resistance between any two wires. If any combination reads anything even close to 0 replace the wire, its internally melted somewhere.

-Doug

Old 12-03-08, 05:48 PM
C
the only wires that were burnt were the ones on the relay.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: