Electric furnace vs heating fan

Old 12-03-08, 06:48 PM
A
asi
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric furnace vs heating fan

I have central AC/ electric furnace (2 tons/24000btu).

I use only one room of my apartment. Would it be cheaper if I use a heating fan or portable electric heater?

Central heating shuts off when desired temperature is achieved but small heater has to run almost constantly. I want to cut my electric bill. Just tying to get some ideas what to do.

Old 12-03-08, 08:50 PM
D
It depends on if you have a heat pump or not. A heat pump is more efficient than electric heat by at least 2X as long as the outside temp is above freezing. Below freezing the electric furnace would take over.

If its just an electric furnace and no heat pump its a bit different. ALL electric heaters have the same efficiency, 1KW of power produces 3413BTU. So the less space you heat the more money you will save. It does not matter if the space heater runs 24/7, it will save you money if you are heating less space than you would be by using the electric furnace.

-Doug

Old 12-09-08, 04:36 PM
W
My question is similar. Last month my electric bill was $270, so I'm trying to figure out how to cut it.
I have 2 heat pumps (1 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs), and no furnace (except for the electric resistance booster in the heat pump's air handling unit).
I also have 2 oil-filled radiators.

I've started shutting off the upstairs heat during the day while we're at work.
And I've started turning the downstairs heat way down at night (the bedrooms are all upstairs).
So my question is what to do about the upstairs at night (radiators vs. heat pump). At about what outdoor temperature would I be better off heating 2 bedrooms with the radiators rather than heating the entire upstairs (4 bedrooms) with the heat pump?

Old 12-10-08, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Widespread View Post
My question is similar. Last month my electric bill was $270, so I'm trying to figure out how to cut it.
I have 2 heat pumps (1 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs), and no furnace (except for the electric resistance booster in the heat pump's air handling unit).
I also have 2 oil-filled radiators.

I've started shutting off the upstairs heat during the day while we're at work.
And I've started turning the downstairs heat way down at night (the bedrooms are all upstairs).
So my question is what to do about the upstairs at night (radiators vs. heat pump). At about what outdoor temperature would I be better off heating 2 bedrooms with the radiators rather than heating the entire upstairs (4 bedrooms) with the heat pump?
Part of the reason for your high electric bills are due to your attempts to SAVE money by turning your heat either lower or off during the day. When you come home and try to make up the temperature, it causes your back up electric heat strips to come on. That resistance heating costs around 3 times as much as your heat pump to put out the same amount of heat. Most HVAC contractors recommend leaving the temperature constant when using heatpumps, as that allows the heat pump to carry most of the load without having the strip heaters coming on to regain 10-20 degrees of setback temperature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: