Aux Heat coming on

Old 12-17-08, 12:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Aux Heat coming on

2 years ago I had a Trane XL series 3.5 ton heat pump with programmable controller installed, it replace one of the same size. I programmed the controller and set the heat back to 65 in the evening then back to 70 at 6 in the morning. I noticed that the aux heat would come on and off even though the thermostat indicated that the indoor temperature was equal to the temperature I was asking for and the outside temperature was in the 50's, this would go on for hours in the morning. I made sure that it was not in a defrost cycle and their tech was here and saw what was happening and said that it did not seem right but was not sure. My unit is a single stage and they have replaced the thermostat and the check valve in the outside unit. Is it normal for this to occur during the learning curve of the system and how long could it go on. They have checked the duct work and everything else they could think of.

Old 12-17-08, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile aux. heat

Just had my heat pump serviced and talked to the owner. He says that anytime you move the thermostat 5 deg. or more the aux. heat will come on to warm up immediately. Adjusting 2-4 degrees should keep it off. I just happened to ask that question while he was here. Maybe it will help. Worth a try!

Old 12-17-08, 09:15 PM
M
auxiliary heat

It sounds to me like you may have a loose connection or the new stat is bad or possibly has a programming issue you may want to get in the setup menu and check to make sure your differentials are not too close together. There is an 800 number on your instructions and they will walk you through the setup.

Old 12-18-08, 11:41 AM
D
Setting back 5 degrees is pretty far for an HP to recover depending on the tstat, so it is possible the aux could come on until you reach setpoint. However, once you've reached your setpoint I don't think the aux should come on at 50F outside. Defrost should not occur at 50F.

What other things have been checked, such as your charge?

Old 12-22-08, 06:29 AM
S
They have been out numerous time over the last 2 years and have checked everything. Like I said they replaced the check valve and the thermostat, I now have a TCONT802AS32DA Trane installed. The heat pump is supposed to learn over a period of weeks when it needs to turn on in the morning to recover the five degrees without aux heat coming on. They cannot tell if the way it is working is normal for a system that is in the learning phase and how long it will continue.

Thanks for your replies.

Super1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: