Baseboard heaters won't turn off

Old 01-17-09, 02:24 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Baseboard heaters won't turn off

Heellllpppp!!
I have two baseboard heaters that are not shutting off. I have tried the following:
  • Changed the temp on the programible thermostat to 58
  • Shut off breakers to whole house (that worked, but is impractical)
  • Shut off breakers to the rooms where the heaters are (did not work)
I tried each breaker separately, but did not wait to see if they cooled off eventually. They are hottest in the middle of the baseboard. It is 76 degrees in the house right now, bul the thermstat is programed for 68. How dangerous is this? I do not have anything within 1 foot of the heaters, but it seems like a fire hazard to me.

Old 01-17-09, 03:15 PM
R
Baseboard not cutting off.

Never heard of programed baseboard heaters. Most I see have a regular old thermostat on the wall. Must be something new but I would try replacing the programable units with regular old fashion ones. You know baseboard heat is the most expensive way to heat.

Old 01-17-09, 04:06 PM
L
Yeah, electric is expensive... but supposedly we have the cheapest rates in the US. We have owned the house for 19 years. The thermostat and heaters were hear then. It is now up to 78 in here.

Old 01-17-09, 04:22 PM
R
Heaters

Are your thermostats digital or is it just a round knob you turn? Do you have a brand and Model number so I can look it up. My heat pump is out and running on internal electric resistance heaters and the meter is spinning so fast it is a blurr. I am beginning to find out a good Heat Pump Tech is hard to find. Most of them guess and after hundreds of dollars then they say you need to replace the whole thing.

Old 01-17-09, 04:39 PM
R
Again

Just went on line and there are many brands of solid state programmable baseboard heater controllers. I have a mechanical Thermostat on my heat pump as the digital ones give a lot of trouble. What I would do is go to a supply store and get the old mechanical which are more dependable. What is happening yours are either shorted but most likely leaking and not turning off completely. Make sure sure you don't have a setting for low background heat. If it is on full voltage all the time it would be very hot and your temp would be more than 78 degrees. I have them in the downstairs are as supplemental when it is cold. Most of the time they are off. When in the A/C mode in the summer it is cooler down there and when the grandkids are here I will use them to knock the chill off.

Old 01-17-09, 09:24 PM
L
The thermostat is a Sears 42-91861, digital. I really like it. It can be set several time periods each day, and it does not have to be the same each day.

Fortunately, my son found the right combination of breakers to turn the heaters off for a while. It is 37 degrees outside, so using the breakers is not a long term solution.

I will get a new thermostat and see if that fixes it. I appreciate your suggestions!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: