How to change a Sequencer on a Electric Furnance

Old 01-20-09, 06:50 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to change a Sequencer on a Electric Furnance

I have a 30 year old electric furnance that just runs fine accept that in winter it does not recognize the thermostat. It runs without stopping even if the thermostat is set to 62 and the temperature in the house is 80. I called the guy and he told me that I need a new sequencer and it will cost me $600. I found the original GE sequencer for $161 on line. If someone could please guide me how to install a new sequencer. It has 7 wires attached to a sequencer and I am assuming I just have to replace it with a new sequencer and attach the wires exactly the way they are. Any more tips????

thanks

Old 01-21-09, 05:25 AM
Well if you get the exact same sequencer then it should be just wire for wire. If you get a different sequencer then it may be different. Need to post a pic of both sequencers if you can. If you have a black sequencer that is a stacked kind then those are pretty similiar. The bottom is the 24VAC heater coil that heats up the top elements in a sequence. Just think of each stack as a switch. The "switch" completes a circuit to a heating element. Some sequencers have one "switch" while others have two, three, or even four. Are you sure it isn't another problem...like the thermostat wires R and W shorting together somewhere?

Old 01-21-09, 12:50 PM
G
Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

I will check today if the the thermostat wire are correct. I am totally ignorant where electric applicances are concerned. The technician who advised me that the sequence is faulty looked very prefessional and he used some kind of meter to determine that the sequencer was not working. He has given me a quote in writing with guarantee that the problem will be fixed after the sequencer is replaced. If I find it is different I will put up a picture of both the sequencer for your further advise and help.

I forgot to mention that one way of stopping the heating was to switch off from the main box and second option is (which I use regularly) to slap the furnace. One hit on the side of the furance and it stops isn't that funny. That is why I am convinced that it is the sequencer that needs replacemen not the thermostat. Any comments?

How can I check if the thermostat wire are shorting somewhere?

Old 01-21-09, 01:28 PM
Well it probably is the sequencer then if someone already looked at it. You can check the wiring by un-hooking it from the stat and if the furnace still runs then there is a short in it. The furnace will run for about a minute however when you do un-hook the stat since it will complete it's cycle by running the fan long enough to cool the heating elements down. More than likely it is your sequencer.

Old 01-21-09, 01:46 PM
G
Sorry for my ignorance. what is a Stat? Do you meant that I un-hook the thermostat?

Old 01-21-09, 06:18 PM
Yes, un-hook the thermostat to see if it still runs.

Old 01-25-09, 04:07 PM
G
Sequencer

E:\DCIM\100KZ700\100_0245.JPG

I tried to unplug the wires of the sequencer but they seem to be stuck. Do they come out differently? I thought I will simply pluck them out. Kindly help.

It tried to attach a picture not sure It will work.

Last edited by gab196505; 01-25-09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-25-09, 05:04 PM
Picture won't work. A lot of times the wire terminal ends are spade connectors and they can be a real pain to get off. I have to use a small pocket screwdriver to pry them off or sometimes use needle nose and rock them side to side until it comes off. Careful though, as you could break the end off with needle nose and have to put on new spade connector. And with some systems there isn't enough room to get in to work which is a lot of fun!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: