Hybrid-Method Installation - DIY and Pro

Old 02-11-09, 07:01 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hybrid-Method Installation - DIY and Pro

I've decided I need to add a heat pump to get more efficiency out of my 5 year old Carrier furnace, and to add cooling capacity for my house in the summer. This will be a hybrid system since it does fall below the 20 degree limit here in MT.

I've had several bids, and these systems are coming in at $9k or so. I found that I can purchase the unit and installation materials for under $3500, and do most of the install myself, and hire a pro with certification to finish up and charge the system.

I GC'd my house, do lots of mechanical work, plumbing, etc. I have a fairly high degree of confidence in my ability if I take my time. But, I'd like to get some reassurance, or even words of "don't do it, pay the extra money!"

Can you guys/gals give me a sense of if this is a doable project? It appears the company does offer the factor warranty, provides instructional and tech support, and helps find a local "moonlighter" company to help you finish the job.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-09, 07:52 AM
D
In consultation with and under the careful supervision of a pro I see nothing wrong with your approach. Find someone a pro that is willing to work with you, divide the tasks, pick the ones you feel you can do safely and then have the pro do the rest. Of course any work you do is not under warranty.

Old 02-11-09, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with dac, you may not want to go this one alone.
Good Luck

Old 02-12-09, 06:49 AM
I would call the dealers first before you order the unit, cuz I've seen a few online dealer list a dealer to "help" out, and that they never asked to be listed, and they refuse to do it.

I know there some people got burned by the on line dealer cuz they won't cover warranty.

Did you just get one quote, or a few? The 9k seems pretty high just for a HP system.

Old 02-12-09, 07:01 AM
B
I received another quote that doesn't include as nice of a t-stat (honeywell instead) and no steam humidifier, with a 14 SEER unit for $6200.

My cost to DIY is probably going to be $4k. I can buy the steam unit for $500.

14 SEER seems reasonable vs. 16 due to the very short cooling season here (8 weeks max, mostly part time cooling).

The $2k difference may or may not be compelling enough to do this myself, so I'd be interested in more thoughts.

Old 02-12-09, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by beartooth
I received another quote that doesn't include as nice of a t-stat (honeywell instead)
What model T-stat? I'd suggest the IAQ stat.

14 SEER seems reasonable vs. 16 due to the very short cooling season here (8 weeks max, mostly part time cooling).
Yeah, if the cooling needs is low, and electric rates are low, then no need to go high SEER.

Old 02-13-09, 07:09 AM
I agree 14 SEER should be fine. Most HVAC problems are a result of a poor installation. The installing contractor is more important then the brand or type of equipment. Having said that, if you are adding a H/P to a gas furnace with a True Steam and IAQ controls I would continue to get quotes from qualified contractors, you can do better then 9k

Old 02-13-09, 07:13 AM
B
Originally Posted by dun11
I agree 14 SEER should be fine. Most HVAC problems are a result of a poor installation. The installing contractor is more important then the brand or type of equipment. Having said that, if you are adding a H/P to a gas furnace with a True Steam and IAQ controls I would continue to get quotes from qualified contractors, you can do better then 9k
I don't understand why there is such a variation in pricing. One guy says $6200, and the other $9k (with a 15% discount). One is an American Standard (cheaper option) and the other Carrier. Is the markup THAT high on the Carrier? Seems crazy.

Old 02-13-09, 07:46 AM
The mark up on HVAC installations is not as high as people think, it all depends on what kind of pricing the contractor gets from the distributor, what his labor rates are, his insurance, medical,401k......I could go on and on. The 15% discount is a marketing stratagy. With out knowing exactally what the quotes contain equip. wise there can't tell you why you have such a broad $ range. Make sure your comparing apples to apples.

Old 02-13-09, 07:49 AM
B
The mark up on HVAC installations is not as high as people think, it all depends on what kind of pricing the contractor gets from the distributor, what his labor rates are, his insurance, medical,401k......I could go on and on. The 15% discount is a marketing stratagy. With out knowing exactally what the quotes contain equip. wise there can't tell you why you have such a broad $ range. Make sure your comparing apples to apples.
That's what I figured. I just couldn't imagine that the carrier would be that much more wholesale than the AS. I can account for about $500 of the difference as one has a humidifier and the other doesn't. The cheaper one also has a lower end t-stat.

Both are 14 SEER 5-ton units, both include the coil, t-stat, line set, outdoor sensor, pad, and startup. The only significant difference is the brand name and the humidifier. I have an Aprilaire on the system already, so I will likely just keep that.

Old 02-13-09, 07:57 AM
Has anyone quoted you Amana equip?

Old 02-13-09, 07:59 AM
B
Has anyone quoted you Amana equip?
Not yet, should that be my next step? We have had good luck with other Amana stuff in the past.

Old 02-13-09, 08:05 AM
Good equip - good pricing - great warranty IMHO

Old 02-13-09, 08:22 AM
Get a quote on an ASZ-14........

Old 02-13-09, 08:30 AM
B
Get a quote on an ASZ-14........
There don't appear to be any Amana dealers locally, the nearest one is in Idaho.

I have another small town guy coming today. When I called, the "president" of the company answered the phone, which I think is a good sign. I'm hopeful that means lower overhead.

They install Rheem, though. I'm not that familiar with their stuff.

Old 02-13-09, 08:59 AM
Not bad, less $ then Carrier, York, Lennox, Trane etc. Again, its the contractor thats the most important. Let me know how you make out

Old 02-23-09, 08:03 PM
C
Originally Posted by beartooth
There don't appear to be any Amana dealers locally, the nearest one is in Idaho.

I have another small town guy coming today. When I called, the "president" of the company answered the phone, which I think is a good sign. I'm hopeful that means lower overhead.

They install Rheem, though. I'm not that familiar with their stuff.
Well lets see.. Amana=Goodman.. made on the same plant floor with no name on the box until shipping.. so you can get a quote on a Goodman, has the same warranty and IS THE SAME equipment. The American Standard is the same as a Trane.. or very close to it.. read any Trane data plate and see who makes them.. AS and I agree the INSTALL is worth its weight in GOLD! I will save you many problems down the road.

Old 02-24-09, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by cyberdead
Well lets see.. Amana=Goodman.. made on the same plant floor with no name on the box until shipping.. so you can get a quote on a Goodman, has the same warranty and IS THE SAME equipment. The American Standard is the same as a Trane.. or very close to it.. read any Trane data plate and see who makes them.. AS and I agree the INSTALL is worth its weight in GOLD! I will save you many problems down the road.
Not to nit pick but Amana is not identical to Goodman,yes they are made at the same plant. Goodman bought Amana, the Amane systems have more bell and whistles ie: two speed CFM, diagnostics, heavier cabnits etc. and yes better warrantys. The Amana Distinctions line is however is identical to Goodman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: