Is the Heat Pump supposed to turn off when aux heat turns on

Old 03-03-09, 07:43 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the Heat Pump supposed to turn off when aux heat turns on

I have a Bryant Heat Pump with electric strips auxiliary heat. When I have my thermostat on Heat, and the temp falls to where the aux heat comes on, the heat pump is still running. When I turn the Tstat to E Heat, the aux heat will come on but the heat pump will not come on. I was wondering if I am getting ripped on my electric bill cause the heat pump should shut off.

Old 03-03-09, 07:56 PM
M
Leave it in heat mode and allow the heat pump to operate with the assistance of auxillary as needed to reach set point temperature. The E (Emergency Heat) setting is just that. In other words, if your heat pump were to fail you would at least have heat until you were able to get a HVAC tech to diagnose the fault.

Old 03-04-09, 04:16 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
Leave it in heat mode and allow the heat pump to operate with the assistance of auxillary as needed to reach set point temperature. The E (Emergency Heat) setting is just that. In other words, if your heat pump were to fail you would at least have heat until you were able to get a HVAC tech to diagnose the fault.
What he said.........

Old 03-04-09, 05:10 AM
D
Typically the coil is placed before your air handler heat strips and so there are no concerns as with hybrid heat systems using a furnace and HP where the coil can be after the furnace. So if your setup is typical then there is no reason you can't run both in tandem. Yes, you are using more power, but you are getting BTUs for that power usage. At some low outdoor temp your HP will shut down and your aux will run exclusively. Don't forget both must run during defrost.

If you really want to feel ripped switch to EM heat for the entire month.

Old 03-04-09, 06:02 AM
A
Ok, Thanks for the info. When they installed it 14 months ago they had issues where it wasn't wired right, and the Aux Heat was the only think working. Two weeks ago the heat pump wouldn't work at all because the Low Pressure switch. Come to find out, two of the copper lines were rubbing inside the heat pump and wore a hole allowing all the Puron to escape and now they are charging me 475$ to repair on top of the $450 electric bill I got because the unit was defective. I think it should be covered under a manufacturer defect. I'm just not trusting the job they did.

Old 03-04-09, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What kind of equipment is it ? M# & S#.......also look at the proposal they gave you for the job, what type of warrenty did they offer?

Old 03-04-09, 08:56 AM
D
Originally Posted by Andybob22 View Post
Ok, Thanks for the info. When they installed it 14 months ago they had issues where it wasn't wired right, and the Aux Heat was the only think working. Two weeks ago the heat pump wouldn't work at all because the Low Pressure switch. Come to find out, two of the copper lines were rubbing inside the heat pump and wore a hole allowing all the Puron to escape and now they are charging me 475$ to repair on top of the $450 electric bill I got because the unit was defective. I think it should be covered under a manufacturer defect. I'm just not trusting the job they did.
Unless I am mistaken most new units should have a warranty that covers parts and labor for the first few years. Anything outside the unit may fall squarely under the contractor's warranty and could vary greatly.

Old 03-05-09, 06:21 PM
A
It is a Bryant heat pump model#264ANA036 S#3407E15133, A/c M# FV4BNF003, Heat Strips M# KFCEH2901N09. The warranty was One year Labor, 5 Year parts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: