Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

My 1990 York Stellar Plus has been less than and so I need a new unit! Help!!!!

Old 03-05-09, 05:31 PM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My York Unit has died every year since my home was built and now it can't be revived. I live in southern Chester County PA. I have a propane tank and so I am looking at the Trane Hybrid XV95 5-ton heat pump unit to replace this York disaster. My home is 3300 SF and I thought that putting in a heat pump with gas backup would make sense. I need to take advantage of the stimulus tax credit since it is obvious that whatever unit I go with is going to cost me a lot. I checked out Home Depot's prices and they deal with Horizon for installation. After the salesman picked me up off of the floor from his exorbitant quote, I started looking elsewhere. I have seen Carrier, Bryant and American Standard discussed, along with York. I am not sure that I want to deal with York again since they never helped me out from the getgo. This is going to be an expensive replacement for me, especially in this economy. Where can I get the most bang for my buck? Whatever input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-06-09, 03:05 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
If your propane furnace is still in good condition, you should consider keeping it for backup.

Also check energy prices in your area; if propane costs more than electricity, you should switch to electric heat strips for backup. Propane is petroleum based (volatile price), while electricity is generated from coal and nuclear plants primarily in most areas. (Less volatile price) The other thing is that electric heat strips can be used simultaneously with heatpumps below the balance point for maximum efficiency. On dual fuel setups, the heatpump has to completely shut down and let the furnace take over below the balance point.

A 5 ton unit might be too large for 3000 sq ft. - get a load calculation done if unsure. Also remember that a furnace/heatpump can only be as good as the air distribution system.

Old 03-06-09, 05:42 AM
Q
Thanks for your input. I am not planning on discontinuing the use of propane. That is why I am interested in purchasing a hybrid unit. The propane will be my back up. However, I can't keep my York unit since it does not work at all right now and no one has been able to figure out what is wrong with it.
I have spent so much money every year having it repaired, only to have it break down each successive year. The unit is just a dud. Apparently there was a recall, but only on units that totally stopped working. Mine could be revived each time in the past when it would die and so I am out of luck there.
The 5 ton unit was calculated for me by Horizon who has the contract with Home Depot. I wish that I could be the Trane unit and then have people help me install it, but it is my understanding that it can't be purchased that way. Otherwise, Horizon's price was almost double the price I got on a York hybrid unit, but I am afraid to go with York again given my past experience with their system.

Old 03-08-09, 07:18 PM
R
First realize that many problems are installation related, and many brands can have problems. Believe me, York isn't the only brand that has parts fail--they all break. York has some low tier equipment and some high tier equipment, just like any brand. It's possible you had a basic builder grade unit before. What I'm saying is, don't base the decision on brand. It's the contractor doing the installation that matters. How did they arrive at 5 tons? Heat pumps are sized for cooling, and that's a lot of cooling. I have a similar sized home (was told 3500 sqft. by one HVAC contractor in total, but I think it's more around 3200 sqft.) and cool fine with 3.5 tons (could use 4, but 3.5 tons allows for better run times). You need a heat load/loss calculation to determine proper sizing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: