Evaporator Coil Cleaning

Old 03-18-09, 08:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Evaporator Coil Cleaning

"Cleaning You Air Conditioner" artclicle: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/arti...nditioner.html

I have never cleaned an evaporator coil before. It was my understanding that the coil should be cleaned from beneath the A-frame. It appears to me from the article that you can actually clean the coil from the top of the A-Frame by utilizing a "foaming aerosol spray" and then starting the AC which condensates the dirt from the coil to the drain pan below.

Is this an effective way of cleaning the evaporator coil?

Old 03-18-09, 08:20 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That is a correct and good way to do it. And I dont know what you have, but if its a furnace and you have humidifier installed you can access through there

Old 03-18-09, 08:28 PM
M
The system is a heat pump. I can access the top of the A-Frame by removing the airhandler blower door. It seems to be an easy way to clean the coil and if it is a sound way to do it, I will proceed.

Old 03-18-09, 09:26 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
proceed without any doubt

Old 03-19-09, 06:03 AM
D
The link is broken, but yes you can clean it that way. Just wait for a string of hot, humid weather, spray down and fire up the system within 24 hours and you should be good. I believe there are a number of pro products made by Nu-Calgon that work well.

Old 03-19-09, 07:32 AM
M
Here is the link to the article once more: Mobile Home Repair - Contact Information

Just to be sure, the heat pump airflow is upwords from the return box through the evaporator coil and on up through the supply plenum. Is cleaning the coil from the top of the A-Frame with foam cleaner still a proper way to clean the evaporator coil?

Old 03-19-09, 08:29 AM
D
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
Here is the link to the article once more: Mobile Home Repair - Contact Information

Just to be sure, the heat pump airflow is upwords from the return box through the evaporator coil and on up through the supply plenum. Is cleaning the coil from the top of the A-Frame with foam cleaner still a proper way to clean the evaporator coil?
The goal is to get surfaces coated with evap cleaner to loosen any dirty. The condensate that collects on those surfaces, drips and drains off will do the rinse.

I'd say spray the cleaner from top down if you can so gravity will help it coat, but spray from top up on those hard to reach areas.

Old 03-21-09, 08:52 AM
M
Not there

Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post
The system is a heat pump. I can access the top of the A-Frame by removing the airhandler blower door. It seems to be an easy way to clean the coil and if it is a sound way to do it, I will proceed.
Sorry I am late with this but the place you are looking at, unless this is a downflow system, is not where the cleaning needs to be done. The side of the coil the air enters on is where the chemical needs to be applied. If you are in a mobile home and you have a closet installed system with the fan and heater below the coil the air enters from the top and you are ok cleaning what you are looking at, if it is an upflow then the coil needs to be slid out and the bottom cleaned.
Also if you do have a downflow I would pay close attention to cleaning and clearing the drain pan and drain line. That setup is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you have a high voltage electric box with fan motors and heaters sitting directly beneath a water generating device that is subject to drain blockage with no overflow protection. What is wrong with this picture?

Old 03-21-09, 09:52 AM
M
After doing much research, I have decided the proper way to proceed with an upflow of air to the coil A-Frame is to clean from underneath. I do not have access underneath from the return plenum. The only access is the A-Frame itself, inside the airhandler, which has an A shaped access panel attached by screws. Does anyone have any experiences with removing this panel to gain access to the underside of the coil?

Old 03-22-09, 08:54 PM
M
Now we wre getting somewhere

Yes you can take off the side panel you may have to move some of the copper a little so just be careful. The best access though is to slide the whole coil out and just prop or tie it up while you clean it but if that is not possible the side panel will do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: