Lots of questions

Old 08-15-09, 04:27 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lots of questions

I'm planing on replacing my oil furnace with an electric furnace and heat pump. I don't know anything about furnices or heat pumps.

I have a 2000 sq ft house built in 1896, that is in need of new windows. I will start to replace them in late winter early spring (five have to be replaced by the end of March).

I don't know how many ton heat pump I need or the SEER (whats that mean anyway). Also how many BTU furnace?
Is there any name brand better than another? I'm looking at Ducane because my Uncle can get one at what I think is a good price, around $3000, not installed for both furnace and heat pump.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-15-09, 05:35 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Jeff, Please don't be offended, but you need to start at the beginning. Electric heat is about the most expensive you could choose and at cold temps, which is when you need the heat, an air source heat pump provides no advantage. There are geothermal heat pumps, but even at a good price you aren't getting one foe $3,000.

So, back to the beginning. Is your current furnace dead? If not, put your investment into reducing the heat loss. One, it has a faster payback, and two, you will purchase a smaller heating system (at a lower cost) when the time comes.

I have audited several 1880's homes and there are many places that improvements can quickly pay back their costs. Air leakage, basements, rim joist, windows (but that is a longer topic), and more. Cure the problem rather than buying an expensive patch.

IMHO
Bud

Old 08-15-09, 06:22 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Heat pump will be fine for OH. Will be cheaper to run than gas and oil. Seer is like the gas millage of a car the higher the # the less it will cost to run. The company will do a heat load on the home to size the equipment this will take an hour or two to do. If they don;t do this send them packing a good contractor will do this. 3 grand for a duncane is no deal. Install is everything cheap equipment comes with cheap installers.

Old 08-16-09, 07:19 AM
W
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Ducane is a cheap heat pump and not worth buying right?

Bud, my oil furnace is running fine but I'm trying to spread the expense of heating my home throughout the winter rather than taking a $1000 hit every couple months. I'm also hoping to take care of all my air leaks this fall. If I had the money I would go ahead and replace all my windows now, but that is not going to happen.

Old 08-17-09, 06:15 AM
D
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Electric heat is about the most expensive you could choose and at cold temps, which is when you need the heat, an air source heat pump provides no advantage.
I disagree a heat pump has no advantage over electric resistive heat, if that is what is meant here. Unless your electric rates are astronomically high relative to fossil fuels I can show they are more economical above a certain temp.

I do however agree on the other points made here: your money is better spent tightening up your thermal envelope; installation is key even if you are getting a good deal on the equipment (perhaps your Uncle knows a reputable dealer); make sure you have a load calc (aka Manual J) done.

Any substantial changes to your thermal envelop will invalidate any equipment sizing measurements. I would therefore hesitate to replace your existing equipment until the bulk of your changes are done.

Old 08-17-09, 04:07 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Heat pump 3 to 1 energy usage and electric furnace 1 to 1. Id say that is a big advantage.

Old 08-17-09, 06:06 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
When temps are low, and that depends upon the system, say freezing, a heat pump efficiency will drop to 1to 1 or lower. That is when the resistance heaters will be kicking on. The OP is in Ohio and air source heat pumps can be expensive in that cold of a climate. Ground source, absolutely, but trying to extract BTU"s from 20 or 30 degree air is difficult. The Acadia utilizes an improved technology and claims to operate down to minus 30 degrees, but it makes you may for that performance.

When ac is an important part of your system package, a heat pumps ability to go both ways can be an advantage, but it's primary attribute is it's ac abilities.

Of the HP users that I have talked to that are most dis-satisfied, they are in old poor performing homes. Thus the advice to address to efficiency of the home first. Once you have cut your energy use in half, then go back to choosing a heating system.

Bud
Here is a link that may help:
Energy Savers: Air-Source Heat Pumps

Last edited by Bud9051; 08-17-09 at 06:26 PM. Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: