Heating System Installation Question

Old 10-08-09, 04:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heating System Installation Question

Hello all,
Thanks for the very helpful forum. I just had my 15 year old York heat pump and air handler replaced with a new York Heat pump and Air Handler. I also ordered the optional Air Cleaner and humidifier with the system. My questions involve the installation of the air cleaner and the humidifier. The air cleaner is essentially just a very thick furnace filter. Typically furnace filters are mounted "vertically" between the main air return and the furnace/air handler. In my case the contractor installed the air cleaner horizontally below the main air return and then added a plentum that leads into the air handler. Is this the correct way to install the air cleaner? It doesn't seem like it is, to me. One indication that it is not installed properly is tha fact that air cleaner housing has the "YORK" name on it, so that it can be read when the unit is installed vertically, when it's installed horizontally the name is side ways. The other concern I have is the installation of the York humidifer. The contractor removed the old humidifer unit (aprile aire)from the main air return and then patched the old opening with sheet metal and finally installed the new York humidifer over the sheet metal patch. The reason he patched the main air return was because the new humidifer didn't fit into the opening of the old (aprile aire) humidifer. Is this correct way to do this. It seems kind of chintzy, to me. Instead of "patching" the air return to accomodate the new humidifer, he could have at least installed a new panel in the air return for a a better installation and a better appearance. I purchased this new sytem at a cost of $6100.00 from a top rate company with an excellent reputation and they also did the installation. Based on this, I don't feel that the air return should have been patched or the air cleaner installed side ways. Are my feeling justified and installation of the air cleaner and the humidifer done in a sub-par manner or is the installation proper and acceptable. Links to photos below. Thank you mross

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...apiller108.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...apiller110.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...apiller111.jpg

Last edited by mross; 10-08-09 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 07:24 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Both are fine! I will say a transition would have worked a lot better on the filter. Or a different box! It does kind of look half @ss but job looks neat and metal looks good.

Old 10-09-09, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree, a transition would have been nice, all in all looks pretty clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: