Humming air handler...?

Old 10-29-09, 07:11 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humming air handler...?

I recently purchased and had installed an 18 SEER York heat pump coupled with an Aspen air handler. The air handler has a constant low hum. I questioned whether this was right and the fellow who installed it (the hired hand, not the owner of the company) told me that it's common to all 18 SEER air handlers. That doesn't seem right to me. IT hums even when I turn the whole unit off. Is there anybody who can tell me if this is normal or what it might be?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-09, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Probably the 24 volt transformer. It shouldn't affect operation, but they are inexpensive.

Old 10-30-09, 08:15 PM
Z
Thanks for the reply

Is there anything I can do about the humming? Or am I stuck with it for the next ten years?

Old 10-30-09, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
24 volt 40va transformers are common.
I would open the panel and pinpoint the noise first.
Then call the installing company and have them replace it if they still wanted my business. You risk voiding warranty if you replace it yourself.

Old 11-02-09, 04:41 PM
Very possible

Originally Posted by Houston204
Probably the 24 volt transformer. It shouldn't affect operation, but they are inexpensive.
Originally Posted by Houston204
24 volt 40va transformers are common.
I would open the panel and pinpoint the noise first.
Then call the installing company and have them replace it if they still wanted my business. You risk voiding warranty if you replace it yourself.

The right answer does it some times but not always.....................................

Old 11-03-09, 03:46 PM
Yup all those 18 seer puppies hum a tune..... Hilarious. Reminds me of the time I bought the brand new Mustang car it had the high output 302. I took it back to the dealer because it was using a quart of oil every 200 miles the guy tells me well now all these special high output motors are built loser they tend to use oil ARRGGHH. Finally found a dealer that had half sense and they replaced the engine it had bad rings.

Old 11-03-09, 04:11 PM
G
I have an 18 SEER Amana heat pump, and there is no humming coming from either unit when the system is inactive. A humming that's loud enough to hear it away from the unit is a problem IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: