25 Year Old GE Heat Pump

Old 12-06-09, 08:07 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
25 Year Old GE Heat Pump

I purchased a home about a year ago. Our heating system is a GE heat pump that is about 25 years old. It's given us issues since we've been here. It just seems to blow cool air...and I know that the air at times will feel cool, but it basically isn't even heating the house because the heat never really gets that warm. We recently had someone come in and look at it, and they gave it a tune-up, and said that three of the fusible links are open...which could present an issue when it gets really cold out. They're going to check stock on the fusible links and come in and replace them, but my question is - will that help the overall quality of the heat? Has anyone had issues similar to mine...and if so, what were the issues and what did you do? I know this may not be the right forum as I'm not doing anything myself at the moment, but I need help figuring this out and didn't really know where to go. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It sounds like your electric back up heat isn't working. Honestly, at 25 yrs old it is well past its life expectancy. I know you don't want to hear this but IMHO any $ put into a 25 yr old heat pump is a waste. Its time for a new unit, sorry.