vibrating heatpump, and pulling in air from outside

Old 12-10-09, 03:15 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vibrating heatpump, and pulling in air from outside

I have 2 2.5 ton heat-pump units. about 10 years old.
one of the units vibrates when the compressor runs, I checked the unit, and the compressor fan motor seems to be the culprit, the fan blades seem straight (and no visible contact points with unit) I had that fan motor replaced a few years ago, and the repair-person stated that the compressor was starting to fail and the whole unit needed to be replaced, (the unit heats and cools well) .

this unit also seems to pull in air from outside, when the neighbors burn in their fireplaces it seems to suck the smoke into the house (only on the rooms for the vibrating unit, and only when the fan is recirculating air). I suspect there is a leak in the (return) ductwork causing is to pull in air from outside.

ideas, pointers, or quick fixes ?
any help would be appreciated.
-joe

Old 12-12-09, 10:24 AM
G
Actually, I'd look at the fan blades closer. I had a similar issue with one (since replaced), and even though the fan looked perfect, it was the issue.

The air from the outside obviously has nothing to do with the vibrating unit, that's something in the ductwork I'd suspect. I'd wonder if you have ductwork in the attic that has a leak in the return...

Old 12-12-09, 07:08 PM
A
thanks,
I'll recheck the fan blades,
I did recently patch a 2 inch gap in the ductwork on the roof that was leaking water in, I guess I'll have to recheck seals, and possible go over it with a tube of calking.

the section in the attic is a straight shot up to roof. all of about 4 feet in the attic... and covered with insulation.. if re-sealing the roof-top ductwork doesnt pan out, I guess I'm stuck heading into the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: