No heat during defrost

Old 12-14-09, 10:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No heat during defrost

I have a 3 y/o Goodman HP with a Goodman piggyback propane furnace. My problem is that the furnace does not operate during defrost cycles and I get cold air. Since I do not have electric heat strips shouldn't the gas furnace come on during the defrost cycle. If so how can I solve this problem?

Old 12-15-09, 04:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes it should. Has this always been a problem or did it just start?

Old 12-19-09, 06:47 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have a propane furnace for heat plus a heat pump then you must have an outside temp sensor and a degree setting to tell the system when to make the changeover from HP to Propane. While in HP mode for heat you need the Propane to cycle on during the defrost cycles only. This should be a function of your thermostat to signal the Propane furnace to cycle on during defrost cycles of the HP (since you have no electric heat coils in the air handler). The second stage heat & emergency heat for the heat pump is the propane furnace and the thermostat should be wired and programmed as such.

If you find that there is a reason why the propane furnace and the HP (in defrost mode) cannot run simultaneously then you should see if you can add Electric Heating Coils to the air handler just for the heat pump defrost cycles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: