Diff between Aux and Emergency Heat

Old 01-04-10, 10:47 AM
M
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Diff between Aux and Emergency Heat

I installed a Ritetemp 6030 thermostat yesterday and it doesn't have a connection for my E-wire (black wire, emergency heat). The install manual says to leave it disconnected. The thermo does have aux heat, which is working. My question is, what is the difference between aux heat and emergency heat. I always thought aux heat was when the coils kick in, but am not sure what emergency heat does. I have a heat pump outside and air handler inside.

Old 01-04-10, 10:53 AM
M
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Think I found my answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aux heat is heat pump + heat strips, and emergency heat is heat strips only. Therefore, I think I'll be fine without emergency heat since I can't ever recall needing it before. Question now is why doesn't the aux heat kick in after a certain amount of time, only when the set temp and current temp are off by a certain amount? Should I run aux only on extremely cold nights (temp below 30)?

Old 01-04-10, 05:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your auxiliary heat is used as a backup for when the HP can't handle the cold by itself. The stat should determine when the temp starts to lose ground and then kick in the aux.

While you never used the emergency heat before, let's hope you won't have to in the future. It's to be used for situatuions when your HP is inoperative and will give you some heat until you can get the HP repaired.

Old 01-04-10, 05:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
Think I found my answer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aux heat is heat pump + heat strips, and emergency heat is heat strips only. Therefore, I think I'll be fine without emergency heat since I can't ever recall needing it before. Question now is why doesn't the aux heat kick in after a certain amount of time, only when the set temp and current temp are off by a certain amount? Should I run aux only on extremely cold nights (temp below 30)?
Depending on what type of thermostat is controlling your system will determine how the strip heat is staged in you aux heat.

I would not worry to much about when it comes on, as long as it works.
Some Honeywell thermostats can have a outdoor sensor installed to help stage the aux heat based on outdoor temp.
They will also turn off the heat pump entirely if it get too cold.
Your ritetmep may have these provisions, but its not a stat I sell or install so I don't know first hand.

Most equiptment will look after turning on the back up heat if the compressor locks out.

Old 01-05-10, 05:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Aux heat and em heat are the same thing - your elec heat kit. When the outdoor temp gets to a point where the H/P can't keep up, your stat (depending on what you have) will bring in your elec heat kit for supplamental heat. This also happens when your heat pump goes into defrost. Again, depending on what you have, if your heatpump fails your elec heat will come on automatically or you can switch it manualy. I would say that black wire is for nothing more then a light on the stat to let you know the unit has brought on the elec heat kit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: