Air Handler--Coils or no coils????

Old 01-11-10, 02:49 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Handler--Coils or no coils????

In my new house, I have a Weather King system. The air handler is model WBHA HJ06. If it weren't in the attic, I would go up and look, however, as a woman that doesn't like creepy places, I need your help to determine if my unit does or does not have aux. heat. I am getting rid of the 1970s thermostat and need to input the correct info into the new one. Have searched the web with no luck. Would greatly appreciate the help. Many thanks.

Old 01-20-10, 05:38 PM
G
You're specifying the air handler model, but the electric heat modules are added after the fact and have their own part number. Does the thermostat have an emergency heat setting? If you set it to emergency heat and turn the thermostat up enough to trigger the heat, is the outside unit running or idle? If it heats with the outside unit idle, it has aux heat.

Old 01-22-10, 02:50 PM
Locate the breaker to the inside unit. There will be an amp rating on it. Might be 15, 20, 40, 60. Post that. Also look for a breaker labeled electric heat, might have a separate feed. Don't confuse the 40 amp heater heater breaker.

Old 01-22-10, 03:05 PM
G
Originally Posted by Jarredsdad
Locate the breaker to the inside unit. There will be an amp rating on it. Might be 15, 20, 40, 60. Post that. Also look for a breaker labeled electric heat, might have a separate feed. Don't confuse the 40 amp heater heater breaker.
Well, she didn't want to go up in the attic to look at the inside unit.

Old 01-22-10, 08:37 PM
My fault, I ment look in the panel.

Gunrunner you didn't pick that up? Thanks

Old 01-23-10, 06:48 AM
G
Well, my inside units actually have breakers on them, so I was thinking that's what you meant. It does make more sense to look at the panel. Of course, you assume that they're labeled, but many contractors don't bother. Out of four houses I've owned, only one builder actually labeled the breakers. I've been to many other houses as well, and very few actually have labels on the breakers.

I was trying to use the lazy man's method of checking the heat, just tinkering with the thermostat.

Old 01-23-10, 12:51 PM
True, playing with the stat would be the lazy mans way. But if the elec heat doesn't work you would end up at the panel.

Lived in a townhouse once without labels, was a pain checking and marking each one. This house had labels but was largely incorrect. I had to do it again but had more of a clue what maybe what.

Old 01-23-10, 01:11 PM
G
I have one of the breaker sniffers that I use here, connect the remote to the circuit and use the sniffer to find the breaker. Very handy, and the best $25 I've spend recently. I had two 200A panels with unlabeled breakers, figured that was the way to sort it out.

Old 01-23-10, 04:32 PM
I have one also. I bought it after the Townhouse and had to do without here as I couldn't find it. No shop here yet to shread tools out where they should be. Of course the day after I had it all figured out and labeled, I was looking for another tool and found the sniffer again.

Old 01-23-10, 05:49 PM
G
First order of business in a new house is to setup my workshop!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: