Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Heat Pumps and Electric Home Heating
Reload this Page >

tried to deice heatpump around the fan and I hit someing that is hissing now!

Old 01-24-10, 11:38 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

my heat pumped was totally iced up and I shut off all electric, then used a hammer and a screw driver to remove ice around the fan. I must have hit something because i now have a noise that sounds like a ballon releasing air or running a power washer.

can someone plese tell me what this is and how i can stop it?

thanks!

Old 01-24-10, 11:49 AM
Z
the sound stopped, does anyone know what happened?

Old 01-24-10, 02:45 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you put a hole in the coil. Put the unit on emergency heat before you cost yourself any more money. Call a service company to see if it can be fixed.

Old 01-24-10, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And...a hammer should never be needed in an A/C system...but you know that now.

If you didn't turn off the HP you've probably cost yourself a bunch. If you went to just EH...maybe not so much. Hope you don't have a lot of Xmas bills to pay though....

Old 01-24-10, 04:29 PM
Z
Thanks guys,

The unit is 25 yrs old and was not really working since the summer?(would not cool the house at all) so I knew it was basically dead or I would never have tried to do anything to it myself.

I went out and got a portable heater for the bedroom, so I will live with that till I can afford a new unit before next winter.
I was just worried I did something that could put lives at risk soon as it happened.

Old 01-24-10, 04:46 PM
B
I caught my elderly neighbor doing the same thing on a brand new Amana heat pump. I stopped her before she did any damage.

All you need is to kill the power and start pouring on the hot water.

Old 01-27-10, 01:59 PM
awh man the hissing snake sound. Once you have heard that you never forget it. That is what got me started in the trade back in 1985. I was installing a window unit in my crib and the bracket would not work so I decided to run a couple of sheet metal screws through the side of the unit to hold it. I got the snake stirred up lol. My dad showed me how to silversolder/use a vaccum pump and recharge refrigerant that day and it has been nothing but fun ever since. He did laugh at me pretty heartily that still stings even after 25 years.

Old 01-27-10, 03:23 PM
switch the t-stat over to "Emgy Heat" mode. Then you don't need to worry about the space heater risk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: