Heat pump question from a Yankee newly moved to Northeastern Fla.

Old 02-14-10, 08:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat pump question from a Yankee newly moved to Northeastern Fla.

Having always needed a full blown heat system in the Northeast, so I have no experience with cooling/heat pump systems. Whehe I live now, the temp does go down to 30 or so some time, so I need some type of heating system. My house is large and I have 3 zoned heating/air conditioning units. The house is 3500 s.f. with 5 baths, so the 3 zones come in handy from a comfort standpoint. The oldest system is completely shot and I need to replace it. Will a heat pump with electric heat strips-which is what the other 2 have- be the best option? The zone that I need to replace only consists of a large bedroom, a large bathroom and a large walk in closet, totaling around 800 sq. feet. I am considering a 1.5 ton system, but is is only rated 13 seer. Should I go for a more efficent (higher seer) unit or would the payback to cover the inital cost difference be worth it. We are only planning on living in this house until our daughter graduates from school in 2 more years and then downsizing to a smaller place. Thanks for any advise, Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 05:41 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Do you have 3 heat pumps or or three zone's or is each heat pump zoned? In your area id put in a heat pump and at least a 15 SEER unit.

Old 02-15-10, 05:44 AM
T
Jeeper

a HP is your best choice.

what size are you replacing? what age and brand?

since you plan to move in several years, I would say a basic 13SEER system would be fine. However, the upgrade cost to a better system would probably be offset by the Fed Govt tax credit up to $1500. That would be my choice.

do you live near coast or interior location?

I can make some recommendations if you like.

IMO
Good Luck!

Old 02-15-10, 11:30 AM
J
thanks

Hi Guys-Thanks for the replies. I live right at the border of GA and FLA about 1/2 mile from the ocean. I currently have3 units. One of the units serves the middle section- about 1100 sq. ft. on one floor, the other serves the one end of the house, which is about 1400 sq. ft on 2 floors and the one I want to replace is at the other end of the house and serves about 900 sq ft on one floor. Obviously, if I was planning on staying here, I would go for the most efficent unit and just wait for the pay back, but my thinking is just do it the most economicial way and be done with it. Renovation of 3500 sq ft. is expensive enough without going overboard on a heating / cooling system,lol. thanks again, Ray Beer 4U2

Oh, sorry- I forgot to add. I am not sure what size or brand the other one was since after the service man told me it was completely shot, I had it removed when we stripped the house. Since then, I have been using a window unit and a portable unit, but I am not redoing that section, so want to go more permanent and use less electricity. Plus, with the remodel, I can move and add ducts where necessary and convinent now instead of after the rooms are finished.

Old 02-22-10, 09:35 PM
J
Another question/thought

I have seen some mini "split unit" single room units for sale. I am considering leaving the other 2 sections alone until I can save enough money to replace them with more efficent models(they are 10 SEER) and just installing one of those split units for this small area. The other 2 rooms besides the 2nd Master suite (16 x 22 open room) is a bathroom and a large walk-in closet, so do those need to be vented if the doors to both will be open 95% of the time? The bath has a fan/heat unit for the extremely cold times, but closet would have no other means of heat/cooling. Thoughts about this? Are they more costly to run than a larger unit? If I can put one in myself for around $550.00 I could tolerate them being a bit more expensive to operate, but not if there is a dramatic difference. I do not trust the data that the manufacturers distribute nearly as much as someones practiced opinion. thanks again for the help.Ray

Old 02-23-10, 08:18 AM
T
jeeper

I think your idea of a mini split would be a poor decision.

why?

I don't think you would be happy from a comfort or noise pt of view.

It would hurt you if and when you sell your home. you mentioned that you only expected to be in this home a few more years. A cheap HP system correctly sized would be the way to go.

Old 02-24-10, 08:06 AM
J
Thanks Tiger

Same thoughts and reservations I had, so I you pretty much helped me decide.thanks