Tempstar Heat Pump not doing anything right

Old 04-29-10, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Tempstar Heat Pump not doing anything right

I have an old (20ish years) Tempstar heat pump that when switched to cool is blowing but not cooling. The outside unit fan is running but I'm not hearing the compressor. When it is in heat mode It makes a loud rhythmic noise that sounds like something is trying to engage or disengage (reminds me a bit of a truck's air breaks). There is heat but the sounds the outside unit makes is of the 'not good' type. When turned to Emergency heat it (thankfully - i guess) works.

Last summer my husband and I replaced the condenser fan and its capacitor, a small relay and the contactor - the a/c worked just fine then. Over the winter we had the 'not good' noise and use the emergency heat mostly -

with those symptoms what type of troubleshooting or repair can we do before we call a Tech out?

I know at 20 years old - replacing the whole blasted mess would be the best solution but right now that's not a real option for us. I don't have the model number right now but I can get it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-10, 09:57 PM
Seriously what I would do if I were you and money was real tight is pick up a used preferably less than 10 year old r22 heat pump. There's a bunch available from all the R422 conversions going on. Look on ebay or craigslist or even ask a few local installers if they have any they want to sell. Then just have a tech come out and do the swap for you. I'm guessing it may run $250 for the install depending on where you live.

By trying to fix that dying unit of yours you'll wind up spending the same amount maybe more and it'll probably crap out again soon enough. If you get lucky and find a used unit of recent vintage it'll probably boost your efficiency ratings as well.

Old 04-30-10, 04:59 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
$250.00???????????? unwire unit! Pump system down! Hope valves hold! Move unit! Place new unit on pad! New dryer! Braze piping! Presure check! Vac system down! Wire unit! Still waiting on vac pump! Still waiting! way in charge! Check system! 250? Not even close!!

Old 05-01-10, 09:15 AM
lol.... gee since you put it like that maybe we need to add a 1 in front of the 250. I think if he's in Missisippi $250 and a cold six-pack will get 'er dun. Beer 4U2

Old 05-01-10, 11:08 AM
I do some of my best work after a six pack! I just don't under stand why I can't have them at work!

Old 05-14-10, 02:26 PM
an update, if it matters.

reversing valve - literally blown apart.

repair estimate is just under $900... would you say that sounds about right?

Old 05-14-10, 08:01 PM
No way would I put that money in a 20 year old unit. Replace it!

Old 05-19-10, 07:06 AM
Yes - $900 is a lot for what we have.

As far as finding a used unit -Which may be what we do [and I laugh at your Maybe in Mississippi comment because while I live in Arkansas - Mississippi is only a 20 minute drive away. Your estimate of labor with a six pack isn't too far off ]

I've been trying to find used units and found two (haven't went out to look at either yet). Is there anything in particular I need to look for as far as compatibility with my inside unit?

The two I've found so far is a 1999 Rheem 4 ton heat pump (which is way more that I really need) $150

and a Heil commercial comfort 3 Phase Heat Pump (model no. Hcco48hAA, Manufactures no. Chco48hAA) $500 never used.

What's out there now is a Tempstar ch3030vka2 on the inside of the house the model number is 3h30365kbi (I think)

Old 05-19-10, 09:14 AM
You can't use a 3 phase unit in your house. And people just don't remove r22 units and install r410a units for the heck of it. A "used" unit will have "something" wrong with it.

Look for a dealer with financing or talk to your bank about it.

Do it right in the first place.

If you stay on the used unit, patch what you have road you will find the replacement with new option would have been cheaper in the long run.