Heat Pump Auxiliary Heater Stuck On

Old 05-02-10, 05:14 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump Auxiliary Heater Stuck On

The electric auxiliary heater in the air processor of my heat pump system is stuck on. It refuses to turn off at all, no matter what setting is on the thermostat. The thermostat does not show that it's on, it's not commanding it to turn on. The thermostat appears to be working fine.

Right now, I have it set to cool, so the heat pump is actually running in A/C mode, but the auxiliary heater is heating all the cooled air, thereby ruining everything. Also, the disc on my outside meter is spinning like crazy. This auxiliary heater sucks up a lot of juice. The only solution I've found so far is to flick the breakers off for the air processor. Nothing else stops it from heating.

I can't make heads or tails of the wiring in the air processor. I'd like to be able to just disable the auxiliary heater altogether. Does anyone have any ideas how I'd go about tackling this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-10, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
Remove power to the air handler and remove the wire between your heat sequencer and and your heat strips. A 5 kw strip would only require the removal a one wire. A 10 KW would require removing 2. 15kw = 3 and 20kw = 4.

High voltage is always present here unless your breaker(s) are turned off. Paying a service tech may be cheaper than a trip to the emergency room

Do you have a digital camera?

This Carrier example would require the removal of the 2 black wires between the brown plastic end of the heat strip and the relay. Do not leave one end connected since this can short to the air handler body.

Disregard the notations on the pic...

Old 05-02-10, 05:45 PM
G
Oh wow, that looks super easy. I distinctly remember seeing those heat strips when I was up there, I just didn't know what they were. No worries on getting zapped, I've been keeping the power completely off on the whole system until I can get the heater to stop heating.

Now I just need a ladder to get up there again. I'll post pictures if I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply.

Old 05-02-10, 05:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
It sounds like your heat sequencers require replacement.

Be Safe.

Old 05-18-10, 11:33 AM
G
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
It sounds like your heat sequencers require replacement.
I was finally able to borrow a step ladder to get up to the attic. Funny how our current heat wave has motivated me.

Found the heat sequencer, unplugged the wire between it and the heat strip, and now the heater doesn't come on at all anymore, woohoo!

I left the panel off the side while I was trying out the system so I could get back into it easily. When I tried turning on the cooling, the refrigerant was making a horrible gurgling sound as it entered the coil in the air processor. Took me a while to realize the air in the attic was too hot and preventing the cooling coil from working properly. Once I put the panel back on and replaced all the insulation, everything was working perfectly again. Glad to know a whole winter of sitting idle didn't cause any damage.

Enjoying a cool house with fresh, outdoor air again! (heat exchanger in the system too) Thanks!