Lennox, Goodman & Rheem - which to select

Old 05-17-10, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox, Goodman & Rheem - which to select

We are building a new home and trying to select between Lennox, Goodman and Rheem heat pumps/ac. We are seeking an all electric solution since we will generating our own electricity via Solar PV. Each contractor that we are bidding has 10+ years in HVAC with strong references. Goodman is the lowest price but I've read a lot about warranty/reliability concerns. Lennox seems to offer the best overall solution, variable speed motors and best zoning package but the system is 10 - 15% more expensive than the Goodman. If I'm using a experienced HVAC contractor, one with a proven track record of installing HVAC solutions for a local and respected custom home builder will I be okay going with the Goodman choice?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-10, 02:43 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I think you need to back up some. 1st zoning is never a good idea in any home. Because you are 100% solar two smaller units will use less electricity than one bigger unit. There are other benefits like comfort, If one unit goes out you still have the other unit! But out of the three the lennox would be best.

Old 05-17-10, 05:20 PM
Airman is right and wrong. Zoning in a 3500sqft or larger home is good for comfort, not operating expense. Decide what you want the most, comfort or cost savings. Not that you can't get comfort without zoning. That depends on the installer and proper design, very very very important in eather case. Remember, you will have to live with what ever you get for a long time. I would choose Lennox for a couple of reasons. 1. There equipment is well supported, and there techs are well trained and supported by the company. However Lennox is proprietary, non Lennox companys have a harder time getting parts and service information. With the Goodman that is not true, but the after market support is not as good. The pay back on equipment these days from one manufacture to another is just not there. Everyone has to install at least a 13 SEER system. I wouldn't make my decision on just cost of operation savings. It could take 10 to 15yrs for pay back between a 13 and a 16 SEER. Bottom line, Lennox is a good way to go. The most import factor in this equation is the installer. Check with your general, for input on the installers. Go look at a job he did, if you can. No, I am not a Lennox dealer, do mostly industrial and commercial HVACR work now. Sold my residential business over 5yrs ago.

Old 05-20-10, 11:01 AM
Airman and DDDPope - Thanks for the responses and information. Actually our home will be 4400 sq. ft. and we are planning on two 4 ton, 16 SEER units, both with zoning. The zoning is for comfort and convenience, breaking the home into two bedroom zones, office and entry zone, and kitchen/great room zone.

Question: Is there a significant benefit with the variable speed motor on the Lennox over the 2 speed motor of the Goodman? I've been told that the variable speed system will be more energy efficient (only moving as much air as required by the calling zone(s)) and that it will be quieter. Apparently a 2 speed system still requires a dump zone and a bypass to address the volume of air that is not required by the calling zone. Can you comment on this?

Old 05-20-10, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Joyas View Post
Airman and DDDPope - Thanks for the responses and information. Actually our home will be 4400 sq. ft. and we are planning on two 4 ton, 16 SEER units, both with zoning. The zoning is for comfort and convenience, breaking the home into two bedroom zones, office and entry zone, and kitchen/great room zone.

Question: Is there a significant benefit with the variable speed motor on the Lennox over the 2 speed motor of the Goodman? I've been told that the variable speed system will be more energy efficient (only moving as much air as required by the calling zone(s)) and that it will be quieter. Apparently a 2 speed system still requires a dump zone and a bypass to address the volume of air that is not required by the calling zone. Can you comment on this?
You have a good understand of this. What you have been told is correct. I really can not add anything.