Goodman CPKE36-1A blower runs but system won't "kick in"...

Old 10-20-10, 10:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Goodman CPKE36-1A blower runs but system won't "kick in"...

Hello all,

I'm having a problem with a Goodman CPKE36-1A working intermittantly. The outside unit's "fan" will run but the system (condenser?) won't "kick in". Forgive my ignorance as this is all new to me. Anyway, I took the housing off and found the below. Anyone want to venture a guess what is happening here and what needs to be done to repair it?

Also, the unit is louder then the neighbors when it does run. Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Old 10-21-10, 06:13 AM
The wires has been burned/shorted out. This needs to be repaired, and the capacitor needs to be replaced.

Make sure you discharge the capacitor before you touch it!

Old 10-21-10, 06:29 AM
R
Do you have any idea what caused the wires to short out? What's up with the swollen part on the red wire? I just bought the house in March and it has a home warranty, service calls are $100.00. Should I do the work myself or would it be wise to have a pro look @ it given the current condition. Thanks so much for the reply!

Old 10-21-10, 09:54 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It appears that the system has been worked on before, judging from the plumbers strap holding the capacitor. You can check with the home warranty people. They may repair it - or not. If you are not familiar with 220 volt wiring and do not have gauges to check the compressor, it will be best to get a pro involved.

Old 10-21-10, 11:24 AM
Hard to tell what caused it.. Can be a number of things. As said, best to get someone in and fix it right.

Old 11-09-10, 12:57 PM
R
Question

Ok, so I'm out of work and can't afford the cost of the service call. Had a friend going to school for heating and air take a look at the system and he suggested before I replace the capacitor (it's leaking a clear oil on the bottom) to find the owners manual and make sure that the capacitor is the right one. Problem is finding the manual. Can anyone verify the correct specs for the capacitor? Thanks for the help!

Old 11-10-10, 10:51 AM
R
I believe I found the correct specs. Thanks anyway!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: