Did wrong run capacitor cause melted wiring?

Old 11-10-10, 10:45 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Did wrong run capacitor cause melted wiring?

I have a Goodman CPKE36-1A Heat Pump with melted wiring from who knows what. Upon inspecting it, I found the run capacitor installed was a 40/5 mfd 440 vac. According to famousparts.com it should have been a 45/5 mfd 370 vac capacitor. Could having the wrong one installed led to melted/disentegrated wiring? Thank you in advance helping with this one!

Old 11-10-10, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Higher voltage rating is never an issue for these caps. I also believe the standard is 10% lower on the mfd rating is OK. That one is a little close...but I doubt it would really matter.

Depending on where it melted...more likely your compressor is getting old and pulling more current. A tech can check that with an ammeter.

Old 11-10-10, 01:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just learned that the end of the wire which is swollen from the short, is connected from the capacitor to the contactor (youtube is wonderous!). My question is, what happened there? Was there a surge from the contactor (or whatever it is that the contactor connects to) to the capacitor and if that's the case what other things could be damaged due to the short (circuit board, compressor etc...) Sorry for the loaded question this is all foreign to me. Thanks!

Old 11-10-10, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Is the part that is melted near the crimped on connector?
This is the most common location for failure and normally caused by an insecure crimp or loose connector.

If this has been repaired before you need to install a connecor on a new piece of wire.
Reusing the wire where there is any sign of high temperature will cause a repeat failure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: