Cost to Replace a Defrost Circuit Board & Thermostat

Old 12-13-10, 04:16 PM
Cost to Replace a Defrost Circuit Board & Thermostat

Well, typically I am posting here trying to figure out how to do something. This time I am trying to determine if what I am quoted is fair....

I have a heat pump that has been freezing up. I had a reputable company come out and diagnose the unit (H/P is Rheem Model FPBA-019JAS; Serial Number TM109900147). The service call was $98 which is what it is. The cost to replace the circuit board is $451 and the Thermostat is $296. This seems really high to me but don't have a good way to shop around so I have turned to this forums infinite wisdom!

Thanks,
BC

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 05:40 PM
I couldn't tell ya what the board is in range or not since I am not in the field any more. Off top of my head, it may be in check?

Why new t-stat?

Old 12-14-10, 03:58 PM
Ron

I just checked online and a replacement defrost board for your unit is $119. Being in Richmond it is high for repair work. If you have the service pack for your unit it should show how to test the Defrost board. Some have a wire to jump to a test point. Also there may be a led that blinks and you should be able to tell from it if the board is functioning properly. My HP led blinks at one second intervals. If is rapidly blinking then there is a problem either on the board or one of the sensors is bad. There is one sensor that tells the defrost timing to run below about 35 degrees and another that stops the defrost cycle. Mine messes up now and then and all I do is take the cover off and reseat the connectors. Of course the power is off at the breaker panel. This will reset everything just in case there is a hickup in the program that monitors all this. Most Techs will just change the board and if it works or not you got it. Try to do the simple test jumper first and see if it will go into defrost. If not the board may need reseting or replaced. Do you have the documentation?

Old 12-14-10, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any manuals. The only documentation I have is from the tech that came out and tested the unit. He said the LED is off completely. I am not sure how he concluded the sensor is bad though. Is there a good place online to order or view manuals?

Old 12-14-10, 04:50 PM
Ron

Maybe others can help. I cannot find anything about manuals in the Internet. Good Luck. Cut Power off at breakers and reseat all the connectors on the board.

Old 12-14-10, 05:00 PM
Rheem is tight lip on their manuals online. I am not able to find anything.. I'll ask another member to see if he is able to come up with anything.

Old 12-19-10, 06:49 PM
Please disregard my posts. I am taking pain medication for my arthritis which affects mouse clicking and typing. I have been using a Heat Pump for over thirty years, my first was a GE for 22 years and now a Trane for 11 years. I sometimes like to share my experiences recently with the Trane. It is now working better than since it was installed. I found you need good air flow inside and outside plus proper freon levels and good flow. It took a pro-tech to figure mine out. Merry Christmas to all and warm house. I am having difficulty replying to my own, this is the 5th try. Am trying a new thread!!!!!

Last edited by Jay11J; 12-20-10 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-20-10, 05:46 PM
Checking to see if you solved your defrost problem.