Heat Pump runs, but no heat

Old 12-28-10, 03:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump runs, but no heat

Seems like this heat pump has never worked correctly in Heat mode.
Here's my problem: The HP comes on normally, outside unit runs and I can hear fluids running through the copper tubes going into/out of the air handler. However, the large copper tube (with the insulation on it) doesn't get hot so basically the fan is blowing though a heat exchanger without any heat.

My HP is a Coleman Comforteer, it is 3 years old and has a new Compressor (ya it blew the 1st one in the first year, during Winter of course, warranty repair that cost me over $1000)

Last year it didn't work correctly either, comes on, pipes stay cool/room temp, eventually the Aux heat kicks in to heat up. When it reaches the set temp, the Aux heat kicks off. Heat pump remains on blowing cool (not cold) air until the temp in the house goes down enough for the Aux heat to kick back on to warm it up again.

Outside temps are only around 40-50 degrees F.

Not a very efficient system if you ask me...

Old 12-28-10, 05:22 PM
With temps that warm outside, you should have plenty of heat!

How did it do for you when it was cooling in the summer?

Old 12-28-10, 05:40 PM
D
A/C has never been a problem, and this past summer it was blowing nice an cold. That's what is frustrating, heating is consistently an issue.
Are there components used during Heat that isn't used for AC? My understanding is they are the same, just a reverse in flow.

Old 12-28-10, 05:47 PM
The valve on the unit, sounds like it may not be switching over all the way?

Old 12-28-10, 05:55 PM
D
Makes sense, how would one go about testing that? Sounds like I may be in for another expensive visit by the local repairman.

Old 12-28-10, 05:58 PM
No, afraid there is no way to do it safely. A call may be needed.

Old 12-29-10, 12:08 AM
F
The other thing you need the furnce tech guy to check the blower speed as well if that do included due the heat and cool mode may have diffrent fan speed which I know my house during heat mode the fan run med low while cooling mode it go med high so that something you may need check it out as well.

As far for reversing valve that will have to be done by HVAC contractor this part is not a DIY item at all.

Merci.
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: