How to find out SEER rating

Old 01-12-11, 12:57 PM
How to find out SEER rating

In April 2008, we were quoted 3 prices by the installer, a Carrier Factory Authorized Dealer, to replace the HVAC system at our home: 13 SEER, 14 SEER, or 16 SEER. I selected, was invoiced for, and paid for the 14 SEER. The dealer installed Carrier Heat Pump (model # 25HCA330A310) and Air Handler (model # FX4CNF030). I have been told that Carrier does not even offer a 14 SEER system and that the heat pump model I have is a 13 SEER and that it could be a 13.5 SEER if it is paired with a variable volume air handler. The installer claims I have a 13.5 SEER system; another dealer has told me that since my air handler is not variable volume, I have a 13 SEER system. I have tried to contact Carrier, but their response is that they don't have that combination of equipment listed as a rated combination - followup questions were never answered. How can I find out the SEER rating of my system and whether or not that combination of equipment should have been used?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 04:25 PM
internet search your model #

Old 01-12-11, 05:11 PM
morgan

what is the worry and concern here?

you may want to re-check that outside condenser mdl number.

however if it is correct, then it is a discontinued model.

the closest matching system that I could find in the AHRI HP directory is the following.

3033606 Discontinued Systems COMFORT 13 PURON HP CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING 25HCB330A30 FX4CNF030 30000 11.50 14.00 30000 8.20 18300

good heating and cooling BTU numbers,poor efficiency numbers especially EER and HSPF.

I would say you have at least a 13 SEER system, at best a 14 SEER system.

IMO

Old 01-13-11, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have had several problems out of the system since it was installed starting with the a/c not cooling properly the summer after it was installed, which was just outside the 1 year labor warranty. After 7 or 8 visits by the dealer (where they tried to blame the problem on 1) a clogged filter 2) a supply line that had come off 3) several trips where they couldn't find anything) they replaced the thermostat, which seems to have fixed the problem. Then, last month (the system was 2 years, 8 months) the heat went out - dealer replaced the evaporator fan motor in the air handler, which seems to have fixed the problem.

In trying to figure out what is going on, I have had a different dealer tell me that I have a 13 SEER system. I was quoted, invoiced, and paid for a 14 SEER system (even though apparently Carrier does not offer a 14 SEER system). So, my main concern is that I did not get what I paid for, and possibly that they installed a system that they shouldn't have.

Old 01-13-11, 08:52 AM
morgan

re-check condenser mdl number.

While you may have a lemon of a system or a bad install, I would say your recourse for a settlement is slim to none, especially after this length of time. you might consider sending a certified letter to your installing dealer(are they a FAD?) with a copy to Carrier. probably a waste of time.

the main thing I would want to know if you purchased a matching system.

IMO

Old 01-13-11, 03:18 PM
There are two numbers: 1) prod 25HCA330A0031010 2) model 25HCA330A310

The installer is a Factory Authorized Dealer - I have sent a complaint to the BBB, which they responded to in a letter to me basically stating that I got what I paid for - an up to 14 SEER unit (he says I have a 13.5 SEER unit). When they quoted the system, it was choice between 13, 14, or 16 SEER. My invoice says Carrier Comfort Series 14 SEER 410A. I talked to a Customer Assurance Manager today from Carrier today - not much help.

How do I tell if I purchased a matching system or not?

Old 01-13-11, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator

Old 01-14-11, 08:17 AM
One other question - what impact would the installer failing to install a secondary drain line and wet switch have on my air handler? When my heat failed, they came out and replaced the evaporator fan motor and told me they would be back in the spring to install those two items (free of charge - which kind of raised a red flag).

Old 01-14-11, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The secondary drain would help prevent water damage should the primary drain clog in the cooling mode. A float switch would turn off cooling if your secondary drain were to also stop, to further assist in preventing water damage.