How can I locate a faulty relay (silent operator) for electric heat.

Old 01-22-11, 09:12 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How can I locate a faulty relay (silent operator) for electric heat.

I have electric heat in my house, each room on it's own breaker in the garage. One room now bakes at around 83 degrees and will only shut off if the breaker is switched. I replaced the room's thermostat with one from another room that I know works and the same thing happened. My electrician is leaving town for 3 months, but brought over a new relay, which he said is most likely what is needed. However, we were unable to find where the old one is. The room's cable from the breaker switch in the garage is visible for about 10 inches and then disappears under insulation. Checking where the other cables come out through the basement does not reveal that particular one anyway. I've removed the basement insulation near the (sheetrocked and paneled) room with the problem but there's no sign of the cable. I explored the baseboard heaters, but no luck. Two questions: Is there a tool that can help trace the cable to locate the faulty relay? Is it possible to ignore the faulty relay and install one near the breaker box where the cable is obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-11, 04:47 PM
Is the stat a line voltage or low voltage with a remote relay?

Old 01-25-11, 10:29 AM
F
I'll tell you what I can. According to the papers that came with the thermostat(s), it's low voltage. When the electrician was here, he said the relay is used if there is more heat than the line voltage thermostat can handle. If it would help, I can provide info. from the actual thermostat and relay.

Old 01-25-11, 11:00 AM
Are you able to trace the low voltage wire to the relay? I've never been around this set up to tell you where to look for the relay.

I am not aware of any tools used to locate a relay.

Old 01-26-11, 08:36 AM
F
How can I locate a faulty relay (silent operator) for electric heat?

No, I can't locate the relay. That's the problem. I believe it should be attached to a junction box, but I haven't been able to find it. There are 8 relays on a box in the garage, but the wire from the breaker for the (problem) heater isn't connected to any of them.

Old 01-26-11, 10:20 AM
Maybe there's something up in the attic??? otherwise, guess you'll have to do the baseboard style t-stat on the baseboard itself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: