Circuit breaker burned

Old 01-26-11, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit breaker burned

(new house) Trane HP. Son called me 3 days ago and said they woke up and the house was cold. Investigated and said that the thermostat was not lit up. Went to his house and after checking several things, discovered that one leg of the 240vac circuit breaker in the garage was burned. It is a dual 60amp breaker, red and black wire. We removed the breaker and one side of the breaker was just burned up as well as the wire about 6 inches up from the breaker. We had enough wire to pull from the attic and cut off about a foot of wire, nice and clean copper, installed new breaker and everything is back to normal. Monitored the wire with a infra red temp guage for several hours and for the last several days. Nothing unusual. So my guess is that we think the wire was not tight enough when installed about 3 years ago.?? or maybe a faulty breaker. Circuit breaker was still in the "ON" position.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-11, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah, if that breaker was still "ON", I'd say it was a bad breaker.. Good thing a fire didn't start off of this!