Was a permit pulled?

Old 02-20-11, 09:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Was a permit pulled?

Not sure my AC guy pulled a permit when he replaced my my heat pump and air handler. Never saw a copy of it. Could this be a problem for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-11, 09:56 AM
no, unless he doesn't have a contractors license, usually in my area the client never sees the permit, but the client does get a follow up visit by the county inspector who checks the installation over. You can call your local municipality building department, if you have one, and check with them.

Old 02-20-11, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
In my area they never get pulled! Takes 2 to 4 hours to get one here! Way to much time! Is it right No but tell they fix the system nobody will pull one

Old 02-20-11, 10:35 AM
Fact is, permits aren't normally required for repairs, but the requirement can vary by region/Authority having Jurisdiction. The real question is did the repairman charge you for a permit? If so, was there an inspection? If you were charged but didn't see an inspector, call your local inspection authority as suggested above, and ascertain if a permit was pulled. If it wasn't, you have a claim, but good luck ever seeing your money. Unless you have a very large friend who you can persuade to pay this guy a visit.

Old 02-21-11, 06:34 AM
I live in Florida. When I had my heatpump replaced last Spring, the contractor taped a permit to the air-handler that stated the type of unit, brand and model numbers, SEER rating, company name, state certification number and signiture of the owner.

The county inspector showed up a few days after the heatpump was replaced and signed off on the installation. She seemed particularly interested in the location of the condenser relative to the house, that the condensor was securely attached to the cement pad with metal staps in each corner and the accessablity of the power shut off box. She told me if I had to reach over the top of the condensor to access the box, it would have to be relocated to a more accessable place on the wall of the house. Florida also requires a 110 volt service outlet located near the condenser. Bill

Old 02-21-11, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by MaryP View Post
Not sure my AC guy pulled a permit when he replaced my my heat pump and air handler. Never saw a copy of it. Could this be a problem for me?
Yes it could be a problem for you. When you replace equipment you need a permit. If something happens or something is not right, then the inspector can go after the contractor to make him fix it. The contractor has to fix it or he could lose his license.
So the permit is to protect you. Also if something was to happen, your insurance, in a lot of cases, will not cover work that was not permitted and inspected. Paul

Old 02-27-11, 06:44 AM
As AirMan said around here a permit is not normally pulled. When changing a 3 ton heatpump system with a new 3 ton heatpump system a permit is not needed.

However, as I found in 2007, if I wanted to change my air to air system with a GeoThermal system I would need a permit as it would be a different "type" system.

Old 02-27-11, 06:48 AM
It varies from area to area, check with your local municipality or building department to find out.