Trane Heat Pump - No start

Old 09-15-11, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump - No start

Hello. I have a Trane BWD718A100BO 2-piece heat pump and I am having issues with the exterior unit. The fan/motor does start. When I lower the thermostat down and cycle power, I can see the motor fan blades "jump" about 1 inch but no start. However, if I go outside and smack the side of the unit, it starts. Believe I need a new motor starting cap... Any ideas where I can buy one ???

Still a good unit, quiet and smooth but it was made in 10/86. Not the house main unit (i have 2.5 ton, all-in-one, for that - new 2 years ago)

Please let me know... Thinking about tearing it all aprt this weekend and doing another major clean out, grean and wiring connection tightening.

Thank you

Old 09-15-11, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
good idea with the maintenance, and I would also try a run capacitor for the fan before replacing the motor.

Old 10-12-11, 01:20 PM
Contactor

Cleaned out unit... 3 caps look good... But unit stick on or off and needs a kick to start or stop... Found dirty contsctor (unit made in 1986)...

My question is; beside cleaning out contacts with screwdriver and air, can WD40 or another product be sprayed to assist in a better cleaning ???

ty

Old 10-12-11, 03:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
replace the contactor, dont clean or use other products.... contactors are around $20

Old 10-12-11, 05:06 PM
Thanks... Will do...Still water on the coil... Need to clean out the drain next...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: