Trane Heat Pump - No start

Old 09-15-11, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Heat Pump - No start

Hello. I have a Trane BWD718A100BO 2-piece heat pump and I am having issues with the exterior unit. The fan/motor does start. When I lower the thermostat down and cycle power, I can see the motor fan blades "jump" about 1 inch but no start. However, if I go outside and smack the side of the unit, it starts. Believe I need a new motor starting cap... Any ideas where I can buy one ???

Still a good unit, quiet and smooth but it was made in 10/86. Not the house main unit (i have 2.5 ton, all-in-one, for that - new 2 years ago)

Please let me know... Thinking about tearing it all aprt this weekend and doing another major clean out, grean and wiring connection tightening.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
good idea with the maintenance, and I would also try a run capacitor for the fan before replacing the motor.

Old 10-12-11, 02:20 PM
Contactor

Cleaned out unit... 3 caps look good... But unit stick on or off and needs a kick to start or stop... Found dirty contsctor (unit made in 1986)...

My question is; beside cleaning out contacts with screwdriver and air, can WD40 or another product be sprayed to assist in a better cleaning ???

ty

Old 10-12-11, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
replace the contactor, dont clean or use other products.... contactors are around $20

Old 10-12-11, 06:06 PM
Thanks... Will do...Still water on the coil... Need to clean out the drain next...