problem with heat pump

Old 10-14-11, 09:05 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
problem with heat pump

Hi, I'm hoping I could get some help with the following problem:

I have a Carrier model #FB4BNF024 unit. Last night I lost power for about 6 hours. After the electricity came back, the Carrier unit (heat pump) inside the house started running and just blowing air nonstop. My thermostat is set as off, so I shouldn't be getting any heat or AC. The heat pump has been constantly blowing air and not shutting off and seeing that I'm just wasting electricity, I turned off the breaker. I have turned the breaker back on and set the thermostat to start the AC and it starts blowing cold air, but then if I shut off the thermostat again, it keeps blowing air, not cold air as before when I had the AC running. What is causing the heat pump to constantly blow air and not shut off?

This is what I've done so far:
-I've let the system run for a couple of hours and it does not shut off.
-The thermostat is set as off, so no AC or heat should be kicking in.
-I shut off the heatpump from the breaker and turned it back on and still keeps blowing air.
-I set the thermostat to AC and it starts blowing cold air, but when I shut off the thermostat, I'm still getting air, not cold since I shut it off.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Thank you
Dave

Old 10-14-11, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Not an HVAC pro but my guess would be the fan relay is stuck. Possibly fused together from a power surge or something.

If you can find it and give it a tap it may start working again but I would bet it needs replacement.

I dont think it is the t stat, but I think there is a wire you can remove to test and see.

The pros will be around to help Im sure.

Mike NJ

Old 10-14-11, 11:45 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Is the FAN ON-AUTO switch on the thermostat in the AUTO position? Have you tried setting the thermostat for heat to see if the air from the registers gets warm?

You can try to disconnect the green wire at that thermostat (power OFF when you do it) and then turn the circuit breaker back on and see if the fan continues to run. If not, try turning the heat on and see if the fan comes on with the heat and try it with cooling. If the fan doesn't run in any of these cases then the thermostat is toast and needs to be replaced.

If the fan continues to run when the green wire at the thermostat is disconnected then turn the power off again and disconnect the green wire at the air handler and again check to see if the fan runs when the power is restored. If the fan does NOT run after disconnecting the green wire at the air handler then the thermostat wire is compromised and will need to be replaced. Depending on the way your particular heat pump is wired you may be able to both heat and cool without the green wire or you may need to get this fixed before you can either heat or cool.

Old 10-15-11, 01:28 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
problem with thermostat

All, I want to thank you for your replies. I was finally able to narrow the problem down to my new thermostat. The relay by the heat pump is working fine and I know this because I connected my old thermostat again and its working fine. The fun shuts off when the thermostat is in the off position. The fan will start running if I switch to AC or heat and puts out the proper air that is set to. When I connected the new thermostat (Filtrete 3M-50 Wi-Fi) it immediately starts running the fan, even though its in the off position. So it's definitely the thermostat. I've called the Filtrete support line and left a VM. Hopefully they'll get back to me with a solution. I can't return it because its 4 months old and the store return policy is 60 days. Thank you again for the help.

Old 10-15-11, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
For your reference.

Operators guide

http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtr...on-13may10.pdf

Installation guide.

http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtr...on-27may10.pdf

Looks complicated.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question