Trane Air Handler No Longer Hums....

Old 10-15-11, 11:41 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane Air Handler No Longer Hums....

My TWV724B6140A0 Trane Air handler transformer was humming along fine until I tried to replace the old Weathertron Baystat with the Hunter t'stat. After reading this forum I found that t'stat may have been the problem. It worked all summer for cooling, but when I tried to use it for heat, the system went down. Now I put in a new Honeywell 7600, wired it and set up the install procedure on the setup correctly using the information in these forums. but, there is still no elect to the transformer and nothing comes on when the breakers are flipped back on.
I tried to find any fuse on the air handler that could have blown, but I do not see one. I have two heat strips. I can see the transformer, the panel, etc. but no in-line fuse. What am I missing? can the transformer itself just blow via the t'stat (hunter) being wired wrong??

Old 10-15-11, 09:15 PM
Most transformer don't hum..

Did you turn off the power when you wired up the stat?

Do you have the right model #? I can't find tha tmodel.

Old 10-16-11, 05:16 AM
E
Yessir, I read the model number right off the a/h id plate (American Standard, Inc - The Trane Company). Although, you can't tell if the last three digits are 040 or O4O. It's matched to my Trane XL1200 High Efficiency Heat Pump. The Hunter unit was working on A/c fine all summer. Something went wrong when I switched it to heat last weekend. That's when I found out that Hunter stats don't work. That's when I switched to Honeywell, made all the correct setups, but there was no change. I do have power to the unit. I checked with my circuit tester. THX!

Old 10-16-11, 05:49 AM
Sounds like you have an older model, and I am not able to find the info online.

Chances are you may not have a fuse on the low voltage, so transformer may have burned out.

Do you have 24v on R and C at the unit?

WHen you did the wiring, did you turn off the power?

Old 10-16-11, 08:58 AM
E
yes, power was off. Transformer was my first inclination too. But I read several places here where there could be a fuse.....just hoping.
It is a bear to take out the transformer.
My voltmeter stopped working! Can I tell if there is power just by using a circuit tester?
Does anyone know what transformer would need to be purchased to replace mine -
the transformer says 4000-46v04642 B307396P02
PRI com 200 230/ WHT ORG-RED SEC 24V/BLK-Red BLK-BLU

Products Unlimited Corp 40VA 60HZ "B" CLASS 2

I couldn't find the a/h model # listed anywhere either...
trying to get heat b4 it gets cold!
thanks

Old 10-16-11, 08:12 PM
Best thing to do for now is put a jumper wire between R and G on the unit itself. The fan should run.

Old 10-17-11, 03:58 AM
E
Any ideas on where to order another transformer? Probably have to be a newer version of the old one....

Old 10-17-11, 07:07 AM
If you need something right away, you best to contact the local Trane dealer and get one from them. Otherwise, there are a lot of web site you can get one from.

Old 10-17-11, 09:15 AM
E
That's what I was trying to find, a web site that had a replacement. My Trane dealer wanted $300 to replace the t'stat only! I didn't see any transformer listed with the numbers I have. Is there a replacement? A Compatible one? Is there a website that gives comparatives?

thx

Old 10-17-11, 03:35 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
you will have to use a universal so the wiring may be different.... you need a 240V primary and 24V secondary 40VA transformer. Trane doesn't let their distributors sell online.

Old 10-17-11, 04:37 PM
E
OK. I found one locally @ Grainger. Will try it out in a couple days. Getting cold this weekend!

Old 10-22-11, 12:14 PM
E
Smile

YES! that fixed the blower part.
Now, the outside compressor doesn't come on when heat turned on. The heat strips work (I get warm air when heat is turned on), but the compressor doesn't come on and make the usual noise when getting ready to cycle heat mode. the outdoor fan isn't coming on either....
I wonder if there is an error in the Honeywell7600 t'stat "System Setting"? It is set to #7 (heat pump) in 0170, and 0 in 0190 (orange to O/B), of course 9 in 0240, and finally 9 in 0270.
Do I have to wait a while for the outside compressor to cycle on?
the t-stat is wired R-R(jumpered to Rc), O-O/B, G-G, Y-Y, X2black-E, Blue-C,W-Aux, T-disconnected....
THANKS!

PS - the outside unit runs fine in A/C mode....

Old 10-22-11, 02:06 PM
how many degrees above the house is the setpoint at? Anything 2 degrees or more will call for backup heat. But, yes, the outside unit may have a 5 min delay. You can the heat pump function by wire nutting R, Y, G together at the thermostat. This should call for Heating from the heat pump.

Old 10-22-11, 02:35 PM
E
Originally Posted by hvactechfw View Post
how many degrees above the house is the setpoint at? Anything 2 degrees or more will call for backup heat. But, yes, the outside unit may have a 5 min delay. You can ????? the heat pump function by wire nutting R, Y, G together at the thermostat. This should call for Heating from the heat pump.
I didn't understand the ??? above....

Old 10-22-11, 05:14 PM
Sorry. My bad. You can make the heat pump call for heat by doing that.

Old 10-23-11, 03:43 AM
E
I found this post elsewhere here -
170 = 7
180 = 1
190 = 0 (now that we have the correct system picked you can set this)
240 = 3 (i know what the book says...just trust me)
270 = 3 (I know what the book says....just trust me)

I changed my setting to this and the heat pump outside came on without any wiring changes. I didn't feel comfortable wire nutting several leads together. It didn't seem standard and I figured, since all other posts regarding this instance on the net had not listed that option for wiring, it had to be in the intelligence (or lack thereof) in the t-stat programming.
Obviously, Honeywell thinks of the heat pump as a high efficiency furnace in order to utilize the heat pump.....
Hopefully, this works so that the heat pump doesn't run all the time (as I've been warned elsewhere if the settings and wiring aren't exactly correct).

Old 10-23-11, 03:51 AM
good, glad it is working for you, I didn't see before that you had installed a new stat.

Old 10-23-11, 04:19 AM
E
no prob.
I'm sure these situations get repetitive.
thanks. warm now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: