RUUD HP, Outside unit won't start unless I go out and press reset button.

Old 11-11-11, 05:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
RUUD HP, Outside unit won't start unless I go out and press reset button.

Hi--I have a RUUD Heat Pump that is giving me some trouble.
The unit is about 13 years old. Worked OK all summer in A/C mode, now, in heat mode, I have to go out and press the reset button every time the inside AHU starts up. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 02:51 PM
When its running, does the outside unit's fan come on? The reset button is for high head pressure and shuts off when head pressure rises too much. It usually takes a minute for this to shut if off when running. But sounds like the condenser fan motor.

Old 11-11-11, 04:27 PM
If the unit is running in heat mode the condenser would now be the indoor coil. Check the indoor blower, and filter. There may be a check valve around an indoor txv that is stuck closed, or a piston on the indoor coil that is stuck closed.

Old 12-02-11, 11:16 AM
I also have the same problem with my RUUD heat pump. When I push the reset button the unit runs 5 min's and shuts off. Unit new in 2003. Am I doing any damage by continues pushing the reset?

Maybe cleaning the contactors would help? Just not sure, any Help please?

Old 12-02-11, 11:21 AM
Where is the indoor coil located on the Air Handler and what does txv mean?

Many thanks,
Duke of

Old 12-03-11, 03:23 AM
the coil is inside the air handler.
TXV means thermal expansion Valve and is a metering device for the refrigerant circuit.

Old 12-03-11, 06:19 AM
RUUD, outside unit reset button

Thank you for the response, gonna open the air handler and have a look see. Is it possible to tap on a stuck valve an have it open.

Thanks again,
Duke of

Old 12-03-11, 06:45 AM
not likely..............................

Old 12-03-11, 07:48 AM
manual reset, automatic recall

On the old units, the manual reset is joklingly referred to as an automatic recall button because if the technician doesn't complete the job, he will have a callback. These normally trip in the ac mode because the outside coil is dirty or the fan needs attention.

On a heat pump the discharge (high)pressure gas is routed to the inside coil. is the inside fan running, the filter clear and the coil on the inside unit clear and the duct unobstructed. It is an inside air flow issue or a bad switch.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 12-03-11 at 07:54 AM. Reason: removed info for checking switch vs. refrigerant pressure. Please see the posting rules for this section.
Old 12-15-11, 04:53 AM
I had the same problem, press the outside reset button and the unit would run about 5 min's and cut off. The air handler coils were dirty and that was restricting the flow. My coils are stacked in A-Frame positions, and you need to pull the unit out to clean the bottom side of the coils. It's easy to pull the coils out without and disconnects, just be careful not to bend the copper pipe and tubing.

What a mess I had but got it done, used good coil cleaner ($17.00 per gal.) did about three cleanings and a soft brush as not to damage the coils. The cleaner bubbles as it cleans and about 8 min's later you can spray it off. I used a manual garden type hand pump and don't spray from the inside out on the coils, always spray from the top side to push the build up out the bottom side of the coils.

Hope this helps someone,
Duke of

Old 01-05-12, 04:15 PM
Update on Heat pump problem

On my last post about cleaning the coils, which was needed, the problem turned out to be too much freon in the unit.

After a friend in the business checked the levels and removed some, amount removed I'm not sure but the unit has been running 3 months with no reset button kicking off on the heat pump.

Hope this helps someone,
Duke of