Carrier Infinity heating system problem

Old 11-11-11, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Carrier Infinity heating system problem

Hello, please help me to find solution to my problem. So here it goes.

I have an Carrier Infinity variable speed 58MVP100-20 furnace
Carrier infinity 2 stage heat pump 38YDB060 320
Honeywell zoning system ZD series dampers
Honeywell tz-4 total control panel.
Carrier non-programmable thermostat TSTATCCNHP01-C

I started having problems with my system when I noticed that the heat pump would run for a couple of seconds turn off and soon again turn on. I called the technician that used to come and help me and we figured that the furnace fan would not turn on to the second speed, so we thought that the solution would be a new control board. In the meantime I noticed that one of my two termostats was blacked out, I put new batteries in and it was back up again, but the problem still persisted.
I went out and bought a new control board that is a replacement for the old one it is Honeywell HZ 432 True zone. Well when I connected it all back up I started to have different kind of problems. First of all the outside temperature sensor stopped working and it was showing that the temperature outside was -32, I had that replaced with additional sensor that I mounted under the roof.
Now the real problem is that when I test the control board everything runs fine, the stage 1 heat, 2, and the emergency heat which is the propane, but when I turn it to the normal use it asks to purge and only emergency heat would work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are my diagram for connecting in the control panel

Control panel--------Furnace-----------Heat pump
RH---------------------R----------------------R
RC--jumpered together with RH
W1/E-------------------W/W1--------------W1
W2---------------------------------------------
W3---------------------------------------------
Y1---------------------Y1--------------------Y1
Y2--------------------Y/Y2-------------------Y2
G---------------------G------------------------
O---------------------------------------------O
B----------------------------------------------
DS/BK----------------------------------------

BLUE WIRES ARE JOINED TOGETHER WITHOUT CONTROL BOARD

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-11, 02:48 PM
A whole new board cuz low speed wouldnt come on? sounds like an expensive replacement board. Might have been cheaper to call someone. Anyways lets see if we can help. What colors are the wires? its more important than drawing a line from y to y to y. So the wiring diagram you have is practically useless. When you turn the system on normally what tells you to purge? the circuit board? how? Sorry for all the questions, im just trying to understand.

Old 11-11-11, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by ender2272 View Post
A whole new board cuz low speed wouldnt come on? sounds like an expensive replacement board. Might have been cheaper to call someone. Anyways lets see if we can help. What colors are the wires? its more important than drawing a line from y to y to y. So the wiring diagram you have is practically useless. When you turn the system on normally what tells you to purge? the circuit board? how? Sorry for all the questions, im just trying to understand.
Well we called the technician that usually comes over and he did some tests and thought that the board might be out. The furnace would not turn on to high when the heat pump was on second speed. Anyways here is the diagram with the colors added.

Control panel--------Furnace-----------Heat pump
RH---------------------R----------------------R RED
RC--jumped together with RH
W1/E-------------------W/W1--------------W1 WHITE
W2---------------------------------------------
W3---------------------------------------------
Y1---------------------Y1--------------------Y1 YELLOW
Y2--------------------Y/Y2-------------------Y2 BLACK
G---------------------G------------------------ GREEN
O---------------------------------------------O ORANGE
B----------------------------------------------
DS/BK----------------------------------------

BLUE WIRES ARE JUST JOINED TOGETHER AND NOT ATTACHED TO THE BOARD IN ANY WAY.
Any kind of help would be appreciated.

When we turn it on it says on the digital display if we want to purge something like "purge override press next". This control panel has a digital display that you also technician can test before leaving the scene to make sure that everything works ok. Well if we test it it works perfect, but when prompted it uses e-heat only.

Last edited by Boriso; 11-11-11 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Boriso View Post
Now the real problem is that when I test the control board everything runs fine, the stage 1 heat, 2, and the emergency heat which is the propane, but when I turn it to the normal use it asks to purge and only emergency heat would work
It's been 11 months since I put in a truezone system. But, the first thing that comes to mind it that the zone board is "IN" emergency heat. With no tstat's calling is the emerg heat light on on the zone panel? If so push the emerg heat button and all may be fine.

Failing that. Did you program the new board? Did you tell it what was connected and how you wanted the zones and equipment to run? Basically, did you tell it what it was connected to?

Understand this: in a single stat - single unit system the stat runs the show, it turns on the heat or cooling. When you put a zoning board between the stats and the system, the stat's "ask" for heating or cooling. The zone board "decides" who gets heating and who gets cooling, and when.

Old 11-11-11, 05:29 PM
Truezone was my old control pannel and we think that it does not work so we changed it to the newer version which is the totalzone. How do you change the board from emergency heat? We programmed ours and it is digital so everything shows up on display in plain words. Any other suggestions?

Old 11-12-11, 06:23 PM
As I remember it's a couple (or even one) button presses. It was last Jan, I put in 2 15 ton heat pumps and ran them in E heat until the outdoor was finished. Look at the manual again. Double check your programming.

Old 11-12-11, 09:18 PM
Are you talking about Truezone? If so, than Totalzone is completely different now. I need help with Totalzone.

Old 11-13-11, 06:17 AM
Totalzone is the old version (TZ-4 = obsolete), Truezone is the new version (HZ432)

Old 11-13-11, 06:19 AM
I am seeing a couple of things here quick.

How many zone is there?

Is all the zone using the same stat?

Why isn't W2 hooked up at the furnace?

-------

Turn off all Zone t-stats.
At the furnace, Put a jumper wire between R and Y1.... Make note of the blower speed. Then add another jumper from Y1 to Y2 see if the blower speed changed.

Old 11-13-11, 07:07 AM
It's all coming back to me now - including DIY website issues!.

Total is the older board with a switch on the upper right side to put it in E-Heat.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/68-0259.pdf

True is the newer one with a button on the front to put in E-Heat. Much more programmable than the dip switch model.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...it/69-2198.pdf

Old 11-13-11, 12:26 PM
All the zones now have the same thermostat, which is non programmable carrier one, I would like to change that soon but only after this issue is resolved. There are only two zones but four dampers in total, two for each zone. I have no idea why the W2 is not hooked up to the furnace, when I looked at the furnace all of the places were filled and I did not see a W2. Would it be in a different place? What is W2? The manual from the control board said that some furnaces may not have a W2 wire so to wire it to E and run a jumper from E to W2, but it also shows the wire coming to W3 and I have no idea what wire to put there.

Old 11-13-11, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jay11J View Post
Turn off all Zone t-stats.
At the furnace, Put a jumper wire between R and Y1.... Make note of the blower speed. Then add another jumper from Y1 to Y2 see if the blower speed changed.
Do I do this at the furnace or at the control board? I also need to note that I now for sure that the blower can function at both speeds, that can be tested with control board, and like I said before, when testing at the control board everything runs fine.

Old 11-13-11, 05:51 PM
I also need to note that I now for sure that the blower can function at both speeds, that can be tested with control board, and like I said before, when testing at the control board everything runs fine.
On the current stat, is Y1 and Y2 hooked up ?

Old 11-13-11, 06:27 PM
On the current stat, is Y1 and Y2 hooked up ?
Yes, in fact there is two wires running to both of them one from furnace and one from heat pump. The diagram is posted earlier in this thread.

Old 11-13-11, 06:52 PM
Is Y2 from the stat hooked up to Y2 on the zone board?

Old 11-13-11, 07:32 PM
Is Y2 from the stat hooked up to Y2 on the zone board?
Yes, both of them, but W2 is not.

Old 11-13-11, 07:37 PM
I looked your model on the stat, and it's not showing Y2.... You have the correct model?

How is the t-stat wired to the zone board..

T-stat------ZB
R----------R

ect..

Old 11-13-11, 10:36 PM
I have Y2 on the thermostat.

T-stat ---------ZB
R-------------- R RED
C ------------- C Blue
Y/Y2--------- Y2 Black
Y1----------- Y1 Yellow
G------------ G Green
W/W1-------- W1/E White

O/W2/B------ O/B Orange

Old 11-14-11, 05:59 AM
Ok, Those are hooked up right.

Only thing you can do is get a meter out and take a voltage reading between Y2 and C to see if you have voltage.

Do that reading at the t-stat size on the zone board since it's kinda hard to do it at the t-stat itself.

Old 11-14-11, 03:05 PM
One thing to remember. When you do the system check at the control board, the board is enegizeing the outpouts to the equipment independent of the tstat.

So, if everything works ok during that proceedure but not when the system is in normal mode the problem is most likely the input to the board from the tstats.

But, again, if all you get in normal mode is E-Heat then that is probably programming in the board (Is the Emergency Heat light on?) and a stat is calling for heat.