Breaker on Air Handler Tripping, but not while in EM HEAT

Old 12-18-11, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker on Air Handler Tripping, but not while in EM HEAT

The breaker located on my TRANE air handler had been tripping intermittently, maybe a couple times a month. Starting yesterday it began tripping after about 10 minutes of operation. Reset the breaker and it would trip again. This was in normal heat mode, heat pump on.

I left everything off overnight and fired it back up this morning, same story. Tripped after 10 minutes of heat. Then I switched the thermostat to emergency heat...the air handler ran strong all day with no problems...

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-11, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
it may be 1 strip of your aux strip heaters. Or may be a bad wire/ connection elsewhere. You need to remove the panels and look. Make sure the power is off first at the breaker box, not the breakers on the air handlers.

Old 12-20-11, 10:05 PM
Everything looks good under the hood so far. Resistance on all 3 heater coils is good. Wiring looks OK. Air handler is still going strong on EM heat.

Old 12-21-11, 03:09 PM
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Check the resistance between the heat strips and ground - maybe there's a minor short. (not dead short, but enough for some current to leak)

If you have a clamp on amp meter, check the current when the electric heat is on, multiply by 240 and compare with the kw rating of the strips.

Old 01-02-12, 07:08 PM
Before I got around to doing more, I put the thermostat back on regular heat and the darn thing has been running fine for more than a week now. Darn intermittent problems...

Old 12-24-13, 03:19 PM
Problem Resolved.

Update to this thread: I bought a clamp on current meter and discovered the breaker was tripping well below rated current. I installed a new breaker and it's been going strong ever since.