New Amana PTH153E50A putting out fumes

Old 02-04-12, 10:40 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Amana PTH153E50A putting out fumes

The first week I had this unit , it ran more on the heat coil than the pump as he temperature was dropping down to 27 at night. The outside coil would hard freeze and only thaw out when the temp rose above 50 outside. The heat pump also ran very hard at times
cawhaumping like it was in dire stress. Amana sent a repairman that moved the thermacoupler lower on the coil. That merely caused the unit to freeze hard on the lower third of the coil. It had started a high pitch squeak when the heat pump came occasionally but it made no sound while the repair man was here. After he was here Friday a week ago every time the heat pump started on Sunday between 12:45 and 3pm it squealed on starting. Since then it was occasional again. Then on Thursday morning though the outside temp was 45 the heat pump never came on and the heat coil ran for 50 minutes raising the house temp 6 degrees above normal. There were fumes that came with the heat coil and I shut it off when it cycled off. I could hardly breathe and opened up the house to air it out. This was early in the morning and it was afternoon before I could breathe normally again.
I called Alpine as they were the ones I got the unit from and they have been very nice to do everything they can to get help for me. But Amana would send anyone out and I called the HVAC repairman that had come out before. They will not come out unless Amana prepays them. I called Amana consumer affairs and was shuttled to 4 different people. I still have seen no one.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with this unit? Can any one give me advice how to get service??
Unit I bought. Amana PTH153E50A

Thank you!

Old 02-04-12, 12:21 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Your HVAC company should be looking at this. It is under warranty! Call the Alpine company back and get them to send actech out

Old 02-04-12, 01:20 PM
D
Bought it over the phone from Alpine.
I am not giving up! If I have to I will get a lawyer. But I want to know what the fumes are and what is likely wrong with the unit.
I know definitely there is something wrong!!

Old 02-04-12, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Phone sales are the same as internet sales.................

Old 02-04-12, 01:41 PM
D
So you are saying I should have bought it from a dealer? They did not offer this unit- perhaps Amana is no longer the top of the line as it once was? There is no Amana dealer/installer within 100 miles that I could find.
Unfortunately the HVAC people around here do not like Goodson- they do not pay their repairmen..
This unit was recommended to me by someone that has 5 of them . l
Are you saying these units should not be put in by DIY? Not that mine was, I hired the carpenter and the accredited electricians.
One thing I can do is put in a wood stove and a window A/C and it sure will not be Amana

Old 02-04-12, 01:51 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Amana is owned by Goodman.

As far as your smell, it is hard to give you any type of diagnosis over the internet. that is something that must be diagnosed in person. Ptac units are typically not able be diagnosed over the internet, they do not use standard HVAC controls.

Old 02-04-12, 02:29 PM
If u did not purchase from a dealer you are out of luck. You had a carpenter and a electrition in stall this? Might be great at there trade but you need a HVAC tech to get the best install. Amana has never been top of the line equipment. It's builders grade! If it was any count you would not be able to purchase it over the phone.

Old 02-05-12, 06:01 PM
D
One last response on this.
It is an in the wall type.
The carpenter cut the hole in the wall and put in the sleeve. The electricians ran the required new wire from the panel box to the receptacle. The unit was slid in place , plugged in and turned on.

Old 02-05-12, 07:21 PM
So you have A PTAC unit! Now we see why you didn't have a HVAC tech. Still don't think you have a warranty

Old 02-06-12, 06:04 PM
D
Repairman came out this morning. Goodman/Amana is shipping
a new temperature control panel. that may cure part of the problem
the fume? I hope they do not come back we could smell just a faint
smell of them this morning.
Warranty all parts and labor for 1 year otherwise 5 years.
I am a very squeaky wheel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: