Split unit vs central air question

Old 04-12-12, 05:21 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Split unit vs central air question

My wife and I recently purchased a large, ranch style house. Unfortunately, the AC system is shot. Actually, there are two systems, one in the basement for that massive space, and then the other for the rest of the house.

The house itself is wall to wall tile throughout. Since it's just the two of us for now, my wife and I were considering installing a split unit for the master bedroom and then using a dehumidifier for the large basement.

Google seems to have lots of information on where to buy one of these and some on how to install one, but not much on their efficiency when compared to central air units. Has anyone got experience with these? We did some math and it looks like w/lighting and AC the power bill would be about $425. We'd like to get it down as much as we can, would one of these units help?

Old 04-12-12, 07:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
wow that is expensive! What is your electric rate and how big of a ranch home do you have!? A mini split would be ok for your bedroom, efficiency varies based on what you purchase. I would recommend a new central a/c if you pan to live there for any length of time.

Old 04-13-12, 03:56 AM
D
Big. About 4k square feet. However, it's a long, linear house and the previous owners added a second floor addition with 2 bedrooms and a jack/jill bathroom above one section.

Old 04-13-12, 07:42 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,289 Upvotes on 1,227 Posts
I don't live in Georgia but I don't need AC in the basement, I just run a dehumidifier down there.

Old 05-12-12, 07:03 PM
D
Any recommendations on a dehumidifier? There's already one in the basement. Should I get another?

Old 05-15-12, 02:11 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
If you're in the market for a dehumidifier, one thing to remember is that the bigger units are actually more efficient.

See ENERGY STAR® Qualifying Criteria for Dehumidifiers | Office of Energy Efficiency

Old 05-16-12, 06:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Therma-Stor LLC. Some of the best

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: