Inside Blowers On 2 Carrier Heatpumps Fail At The Same Time

Old 06-02-12, 06:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Inside Blowers On 2 Carrier Heatpumps Fail At The Same Time

My neighbor has two four year old Carrier heat pumps installed in a new house at the same time by the same installer. One unit is 5 ton and the other is much smaller, maybe 2 or 3 ton.

Last week both air handler blower motors failed at the same time. The outside temperature was in the low high 80's and low 90's.

It's worth mentioning that there is also a whole house generator installed in the house. The generator ran a total of serveral hours on two occasions because of local power failures leading up to the blowers failing. The generator was not running when the blowers failed.

The blower motors were replaced and everything appears to be running satusfacturely.

I am suspecious about two blower motors in two separate heatpumps, installed in the same house, failing simontanously. I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on.

Is it possible (likely) the generator could have been involved?

How common is it for two airhandler blower motors to fail at the same time?

Am I chasing a dead horse?

Bill

Old 06-03-12, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
It is not common at all, but with "dirty" generator power they could easily have failed if they were ecm variable speed motors. If they are regular PSC motors then I'm not sure what may have caused them to fail at the same time other than dumb luck.

Old 06-03-12, 05:49 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I will check tomorrow to see I can determine what type of motors they are. My Carrier infinity has a varitable speed motor. I am not certain if his motors are varitable speed or not. Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: