Lennox blower motor shutoff

Old 08-23-12, 05:18 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox blower motor shutoff

I have a 2yr old Lennox Heat Pump/Nat Gas system with variable speed blower. I'm told the airflow sensor on this unit is very sensitive and it doesn't take much dirt on the filter to shut it down. It shut down yesterday and the filter was pretty dirty after only two months. Looks like our long hair dog is the biggest culprit. Can I put inexpensive, glass filters at return air vents to capture this and get more life out of the expensive 5 inch filters or will this cause other problems? Other solutions (besides getting rid of the dog)?
Thanks

Old 08-23-12, 06:08 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
You can, but the fiberglass filters will have to be checked/cleaned frequently.

Generally dirt on a filter shouldn't cause a variable speed blower to shut down; there could be other problems with the ductwork.

Old 08-26-12, 02:14 AM
P
Yes ! Your idea has much merit; that pet hair accumulating on the main filter is telling you that this pet hair is being drawn into the return air ducting and some of it is making it's way to the main filter. All of the pet hair will not be drawn back to the main filter and can accumulate in the ducting permanently. This can cause odor problems and be a nesting place for molds and mildews.

Placing the cheaper fiberglass filter at each return will keep the pet hair out of your ducting and main filter. If this has been going on for some time now, I would suggest having the return air duct professionally cleaned. Also, put yourself a reminder on your refrigerator to check your main filter every couple of weeks, two months is entirely too long without checking. If you find a small accumulation on the filter at checkup time, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a dust brush on it to remove the trapped particles and extend the life of the filter. Be careful with the brush so as not to rough up the filter material.

Old 08-27-12, 01:11 PM
N
Appreciate the feedback. Never thought of the potential ductwork concerns. Need to see what my options are and make sure I don't increase the resistance too much or the fan will still shutdown. Might be able to use a lower MERV filter, especially if I "prefilter" at return vents.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: