HP Blower Motor tries but won't run

Old 09-17-12, 08:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HP Blower Motor tries but won't run

York HP installed in 2003. AC supposed to be running. We started to hear clicking while the outside unit was running but the blower was not. I went under the house and checked the little fuse(It was Ok). I checked to find the source of the clicking. It is coming from the fan motor trying to start. The fan tries to move but won't move more than 1/4 inch with each click. The fan would turn with help but not keep going. After several minutes, a sharp alarm sound was heard(beep beep). The green light on the circuit board was flashing while the fan was trying to start. The outside unit was running and the air handler coil began to freeze. We tried the "fan on" setting with the same results. I did some research and went back under to look for a run capacitor. There was none that I could see- none on the fan housing and nothing on the circuit boards that looked like a capacitor. Everything I read said there would be a capacitor.

I removed the fan housing and the fan turns easily with a slight rubbing sound.

What should I do next?
Is there a capacitor I can't see?
Should I find a place where they check motors? This motor has two plastic plugs to hook up the bundle of wires.
What does the green flashing light mean when the power was on?
What does that alarm sound(beep beep, like a microwave oven) mean?

I will appreciate any worthwhile advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-12, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you have High End equipement with a variable speed blower motor. Those motors and or systems are not DIY.

Old 09-17-12, 09:54 PM
D
What indicates that? Is there some other electronic gizmo that replaces the capacitor and changes the speed?

Old 09-17-12, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No capacitor indicates that. Also the 2 plugs.... sounds just like a VS motor to me. As far as the green light.... there should be an legend somewhere on the furnace or in it to find out what it flashing means.

Old 09-19-12, 03:54 PM
O
what is model# of your air handler?