Comparing New Contruction HVAC Options

Old 09-30-12, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Comparing New Contruction HVAC Options

Hello!

I'm looking to build a new home and wondering how to think about comparing my options HVAC options. Currently looking between a 5 ton vertical-loop geothermal with a split system using the furnace as backup heat VS a high efficiency gas-fired forced-air system. It seems to me that I should be able to do a life cycle cost analysis to truly compare dollars, but I need to know how to make good estimates. I have initial costs (installation), but what/how do I estimate annual utility costs and (more difficult) longer term maintenance costs and/or life and replacement.

I'm building an approx 4,800 sq ft (incld. basement) home in a northern climate (Minnesota). New construction, it will have an insulated foundation, open spray foam walls, and R48 ceiling. 5 tons (I'm told) means 5 vertical wells being drilled.

What else do I need to know? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks,
Guy

Old 10-01-12, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For Geothermal HP you won't need furnace back up, and no point of putting money into that. Even in northern MN, the Geo will do the job on it's own 99% of the time. For Geo, I've seen electric back up strips for just in case if there's issue w/ the HP itself.

Be sure the dealer does a Manual-J on the home itself to see what size equipment.

Where up north are you building?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: