Need help with thermostat wiring for new thermostat

Old 12-22-12, 07:42 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with thermostat wiring for new thermostat

Hey all. I currently have a Coleman Evcon 3600-367 thermostat that has two mercury tubes. The system is a heat pump with electric back up heat. Here's the current wiring on the thermostat:

E --- no wire
G --- Green wire
B --- no wire
O --- orange wire
Y --- yellow wire
R --- red wire
X --- light blue wire
L --- black wire
W2 --- white wire

I plan to replace the thermostat with a Honeywell RTH6450d programmable thermostat. Can this thermostat work with the system? After reading the installation manual online about this thermostat, there is no terminal for the x wire. What am I suppose to do with the x wire? What's the L wire for? Also, is a jumper suppose to be put on the E and AUX terminals since there's no E wire? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-12, 08:39 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
X is most likely C but it is not used on your new thermostat. Yes that thermostat will operate your system. You MUST setup the thermostat in the advanced installation section of the manual for your system (Heat Pump WITH aux heat). L is a trouble light (not needed on the new stat). Yes, I would jumper E to Aux.

Old 12-23-12, 07:42 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. So in that case I will wrap the L and X wires in electrical tape since they won't be used. I understand that the thermostat needs to be set up in the advanced installation section. The manual says I have to call my local waste management with instructions on properly disposing the old thermostat since it contains mercury. Again thanks for the advice! I'll post back if I have any further questions.