Transformer and/or Fan Relay

Old 12-25-12, 06:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transformer and/or Fan Relay

Had a problem with my indoor unit constantly running (outdoor unit not), so I turned it off from the breaker since the off control on the thermostat didn't do it. Had a friend come check it out. After some troubleshooting, thought it was the contactor. Replaced it and turned the breaker back on. After 5 minutes, outdoor unit engaged, heated the house, outdoor unit turned off after reaching thermostat set temp, indoor unit stayed on for a while. Ruled out contactor so maybe thermostat. Got a new one and changed it. Here's the problem, it was not compatible with heat pumps with aux or e-heat. New themostat never engaged unit, put the old one back, no power. Read some forums and figured it may be the transformer. Transformer may be burned out and needs to be replaced, but what about the indoor unit constantly running. Could that be a possible blower relay, if so, does that look like a circuit board. I have a Goodman unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know what to tell the HVAC person when I call. Hopefully would save me some money if I know what the problem is or could be. Don't think I want to tackle this myself.

Old 12-25-12, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
The fan issue is probably a sequencer problem.

Goodman also has some models with a fan control which resembles a sequencer that may have failed.

The second problem probably occurred when replacing the thermostat.
The air handler may have a blade type automotive fuse protecting the transformer.

What is the model number?

Last edited by Houston204; 12-25-12 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 08:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If terminal 3 were unplugged (in the second picture) and the fan continued to run, it would point to the sequencer.

High voltage is present at the sequencer and fan control.

Old 12-25-12, 05:41 PM
W
Thanks for the reply. Just took a look at a picture I took while under the house and took off the panel. Terminal 3 appeared to be plugged with a red wire and one blue underneath. From what I can see on my picture, it looks like I have the sequencer in the first picture you sent (the one on right). A purple and black wire were connected at the top.

Old 12-25-12, 05:44 PM
W
The model number of the intake unit I have is a Goodman Air Handler ARUF036-00A1.

Old 12-25-12, 06:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure that your heat sequencer isn't rectangular like the one with a white arrow?

The small circuit board (EBTDR) has a purple wire on the NC terminal that is fed by the sequencer. If the fan turns off when you unplug this purple wire on NC it would point to the sequencer.

High voltage is present at these controls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: