Trane XL1400 Heat Pump help

Old 01-24-13, 06:33 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XL1400 Heat Pump help

I am having issues wit my Trane XL1400 Heat Pump that I hope is nothing serious.

During the day we have the thermostat set at about 70 and the temperature in the house holds close to that throughout the day. However at night for the past month or so the temperature in the house will take a major dive due to the fact that the Heat Pump appears to be off and all that blows through the vents is cool air.

When we go to bed the temperature is fine, but it will drop as much 10-12 degrees in a few hours, causing me to wake up and find that it is now 58 degrees in the house. The outside temperature for the most part is in the late 20's with the occassional night dropping into the late teens

However, if I turn the unit off at the breaker, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on the heat kicks on

The thermostat shows 2 settings for the fan - "Auto" and "On" and we pretty much always have it on 'Auto". Then underneath there is a switch that says "Norm" and then 2 points that say AUX heat and EMERGENCY heat and for some reason both are lit up.

I replace the filters every 3 months so I don't see that been a problem. Is it common to see that big of a drop at night given the frigid temperatures?

Old 01-25-13, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Are you in emergency heat setting instead of heat? If you are in heat mode the aux heat should kick in and you should maintain temp. You may have 1 or more heat strips that are not working. It is best to have a pro diagnose an electric heat air handler as there is high voltage and a mess of wires in air handlers

Old 01-25-13, 05:37 AM
N
Right now both the Aux Heat and Emergency Heat lights are on which it has been like that for a while.

During the day the house has heated up to what the thermotat is set at it just seems like when the temperature plunges at night the Heat Pump has a problem maintaining the right temp causing it to drop.

Fortunately our neighbor worked for the city as a HVAC tech, so I guess I'll stop by and have him check it out.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-25-13, 08:12 PM
T
sounds like thte aux heat electric back up isnt working properly, the heat pump most likely isnt able to keep up to the demands for heat at those outside tempuratures, the system appears to have a single or double stage back up, when the theromstat shows aux or emergency heat that should be turning on your back up or aux system which should run to heat things up and support the hear pump. check the fuse on the board inside the system on the front of the blower unit, if this is blown you wont have back up or aux heat, also check the voltage when the aux heat and em heat is on and make sure you have voltage going to the aux heaters.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: