Questions about hydronic electric baseboard heaters noise and safety.

Old 01-25-13, 05:33 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about hydronic electric baseboard heaters noise and safety.

1) Are hydronic electric baseboard heaters truly quiet?

2) Could I place a hydronic electric baseboard heaters behind a couch? Near curtains? Can I run electric power cords to an outlet located over one?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-13, 05:38 PM

Any type of baseboard heater relies heavily on convection......air needs to freely move through the heater. Placing a baseboard heater behind a couch or under drapes will drastically reduce it's efficiency.

Old 01-25-13, 06:31 PM
G
As far as the couch is concerned I am worried about setting it on fire. I noticed a couple of news stories where a fire started when something came into contact with an electric baseboard heater (probably not hydronic). So I was wondering what the deal was with hydronic electric baseboard heaters.

Old 01-26-13, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
any heat appliance should have space around it and nothing should contact it. See the manufacturer's recommendations for clearances.

Old 04-30-13, 03:44 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Geo8rge, I think you are confusing terms Hydronic (hydro=water) is liquid heated (ie you need a hot water heater and circulating pumps. These are always plumbed in as part of a system. If yours are electric and not hydronic, I would recommend that you keep at least 12" of clear free space all around them so that they can convect air properly and not overload the electrical supply - it also helps them to function properly and be the most efficient! Just my .2c!