Heat Pump blow cold air at Defrost Mode

Old 03-11-13, 08:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat Pump blow cold air at Defrost Mode

I have a Bryant heat pump. When it is on Defrost Mode, my indoor register will blow out cold air ( around 42 to 55 degree ) sometimes. When the outside temperature is below 35 degree, the cold air situation become worse and more frequently. The blow out air was so cool, it dropped the indoor temp down for 5 degree and trigger the AUX heat. What need to be done to fix the problem? Your help is highly appreciated.

Old 03-11-13, 09:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Does it heat when Aux is triggered?
Is "W" connected at your outdoor unit?
Is the outdoor unit "W" connected to the indoor unit?

An example of a common heat pump diagram would have 2 "W" wires connect to the air handler.

Do you have a meter that can measure for 24 volts AC?

Old 03-12-13, 06:20 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help. When Aux is ON, heat air come out from register. Since I am not home until the weekend, I cannot check the wiring on the heat pump and air handler. I do have multimeter for checking ac voltage. What voltage do I need to check on my heating system? I am going to check the wiring and voltage on this weekend. Thanks a million.

Last edited by kenlon; 03-12-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 05:07 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
When the heatpump goes into defrost, there should be 24V AC between terminals W1/aux and C at the air handler even when there's no call for aux heat.

Be careful doing this - there's 240v ac in the air handler and outdoor unit. You might want to consider calling a pro for this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: