Bryant HP issues

Old 03-14-13, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bryant HP issues

This is a question on whether or not I should be putting a fresh coat of paint on a sinking ship

Bryant HP 650an048-c installed in 2001. AH FEM4p6660A installed in 2010.

Observed that the fan on the outdoor compressor was not always running. It would run for a while, stop for a while, start etc. All this time the compressor is running. Eventually the thermostat would be satisfied and would be idle for a while. Electric bills remain normal.

In the last week or so, I noticed what sounded like a large diesel truck was parked outside with the engine running. No truck of course, but tracked it down to the AH. Vibration/pulsing from the fan motor. Took the cover off, all mounts were firm etc, rotated squirrel cage, seemed a little rough. The motor would not always come up to speed when I changed the fan from "auto" to "ON".

Had a tech show up this am, he stated that the unit was cycling in/out of defrost mode because of the AH motor not running at normal speed. Further checking, the defrost board was not working the reversing valve.

End result, he was going to order a new defrost board, checked the motor and found out it was still under warranty, but I will have to pay labor. Total a little over $400.

So the question is, a 12/13 year old compressor unit, is it time to replace it now or let it die a normal death in about 3+ Years.? Since the AH is less than 3 yrs old, that would remain.

The puron system has been great over the years, one problem at year two, but has been turned on and running since 2001. The AH was changed out due to the home builder using 2 1/4 pieces of pressboard on the AH platform and caused the AH to start leaning due the board giving away. It did not survive the "A" coil removal and reinstall in order to rebuild the whole platform.

Old 03-14-13, 02:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If you are already using R410A then I would repair what you have if you are not going to replace with a 16 seer or higher HP.

Old 03-14-13, 05:37 PM
Tx, yes it is a R410a and you answered the question on upgrading to a higher seer. When it was installed, 10 seer was the norm, this unit is a 13. Don't suspect that anything higher would give that much of a payback. I am leaning towards keeping the present system, but won't know until the anticipated fix parts are installed and it resumes normal working conditions. I suspect that there are two different problems, and not one causing the other.

Old 03-17-13, 05:35 PM
Just for comparison, had a guy about 1/2 mile from me stop to give me an estimate on replacing the compressor/outdoor unit. He diagnosed the problem in about 15 minutes. Said the AH had a bad ECM motor, said he see's alot of them, and the defrost board in the outside unit. Two separate problems. One estimate, for a carrier made unit, not a carrier branded, was $3100, Seer 13, 4 ton. Have not priced these lately, but seems a little high?? Parts are in, appointment monday 9-12.

Old 03-17-13, 06:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Discussing pricing here has NO value as prices vary by location. I would simply repair what you have.

Old 03-19-13, 12:31 PM
OK, the tech showed up yesterday morning @ 9am, left about 3pm. Changed out the AH motor, no problem, seems to have fixed that item. Changed out the defrost board, same problem as before, compressor and fan both start up, and about 3 minutes later, the compressor fan stops. The troubleshooting began, seems to only happen in the heating mode. During this troubleshooting, the house was @ 85 degrees, whew!! Tech # 2 shows up and both continue until 3 pm, said they could not fix it because the VPS switch was shutting the fan off even thought the pressure was within limits. VPS switch, he never heard of but that was what it was labeled on the schematic. He is researching function and if a new one is available. Unfortunately, that switch was soldered into a 1/2"? copper line, (no schreader?? valve there) replacement would require, 410a bleed down, unsolder the old, solder in the new, refill system. He is thinking $700, but have not got an official quote. In the mean time, that VPS switch is bypassed and the system is working normal.

Last edited by Mike1555; 03-19-13 at 02:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: